Marineland double bright LED light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pls1210

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413734067.284729.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413734077.749083.jpg

Does anyone by any chance have any experience with this light? I want to add plant life to my aquarium but the lfs said I would need a stronger light. I am really clueless and have no idea what to get. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's a pretty weak light. What is your tank size and what are goals? Low tech beginner tank? Did you have a particular budget in mind?

30 gallon tall not sure of the exact dimensions. I want some plants that will cover a large portion of the bottom of the tank and some others. All the fish store recommended was anubias. My lfs are not people friendly at all so it's difficult to ask them any questions without them making you feel like an idiot.

I have been searching several different types of lights that are suppose to be for plants but I really have no idea about any of this. The hood that is on my tank now is around 24" long. I assume that the light is just a regular aquarium light. I bought the tank and set up from someone else and didn't get any detailed information about anything.

I have this on my 75 gal, and my low to medium light plants do quite well. I don't use Co2 but intend to make the jump in the near future. I'll be adding one more current satellite when I do. There are many lighting adjustments available with this unit, not to mention it's remote controlled.

Attachments

• 1413774880356.jpg
    1413774880356.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up this one for my tank.

Amazon.com : Fluval LED 24-Inch Daylight/Plant Lamp, 25-watt : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies

Its seemed to have a lot more LEDS than most others I looked at and it was on sale (sort of) at my petco nearby.

It was sort of a whim buy. I did look at that Satellite plant lite as well but There were some iffy reviews on Amazon of light burning out after a month or even less.

I was going to also buy a decent Finnex

Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch : Pet Supplies

Which is a bit cheaper but The Fluval had more wattage and more LEDS.

From my reading (STILL NEW) with LEDs you really want to get something with decent wattage. Theres PAR ratings but those are really hard to get since most manufacturers dont even test that.

From googling around people who have tested both the Finnex and Fluval said they were great lights. I could have prob been fine with the Finnex but again the Fluval has a 3 year warranty, more wattage and lights so If I ever try to go from low/medium to MAYBE a higher medium plant I can hopefully be okay.
Once my tank is established....... IF my tank is ever established lol....

In the end maybe just spend a tiny bit more and go with the Finnex at least.

Im also thinking of taking the really crappy led strip from my old tetra lid or just some waterproof LED lights to install as well so I can keep the tank lit a bit longer without feeding too much sun into the tank. Me and the Mrs work really late sometimes and we would like to enjoy the tank lit but dont want algea starting.

I've not heard the best reviews on the plant growing power of the fluval, it's probably a but less effective then the sat+. The finnex planted plus is pretty powerful, without proper ferts and carbon source you'll have an algae farm in no time. The fluval will be good for a low light setup..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've not heard the best reviews on the plant growing power of the fluval, it's probably a but less effective then the sat+. The finnex planted plus is pretty powerful, without proper ferts and carbon source you'll have an algae farm in no time. The fluval will be good for a low light setup..

I usually go with the amazon user reviews which were good respectively on all 3 lights.
It seems the Fluval has a bit more actual LEDs (almost double) and wattage (almost the same comparing it with the 36" version) from the specs.
so would you say return the fluval and grab the sat+?

As far as far as bang for your buck goes I'd recommend the current satellite plus over the fluval. It will probably give you better plant Growth as well.

As far as far as bang for your buck goes I'd recommend the current satellite plus over the fluval. It will probably give you better plant Growth as well.

These are teh specs I could find at the 30" version for myself. I thought the fluval actually came out on top even next to the finnex.
But this is only my situation and Im new to lighting so I can be COMPLETELY wrong.

Fluval
Item # : A3980
UPC : 015561139809
Extendable range: 61-85 CM (24-34 IN)
Number of LEDs: 312
Wattage: 25 W
Lumens: 1,495 LM
Lux: 4,020
CRI: 5,200 K
Lifetime Hours: 50,000

Sattelite
24-36"
22.8" x 3.5" x 0.44"
18 watts
48 White/24 RGB (so thats 72 lights compared to 312?)
1000 lumens
Can find the hours anymore but I thought it was more around 30 something K total

For the extra 30$ after taxes and such the fluval doesnt seem like a bad buy since I actually dont like that you NEED the remote to use the sattelite (on and off) and even though the color change settings are nice its not something I would use often.

I guess time will tell and who knows, perhaps Ill end up with both eventually when I want to carpet plant :brows:.

It's your money, more leds is not necessarily a good thing, more concentrated light from a more powerful diode is better imo. Check the planted tank, read up on the light before you buy it. I run 2 tanks with finnex and one with sat ' s, both are growing plants really well. Think there is a reason petco would sell a light for less than amazon?? Hmmmm.

It's your money, more leds is not necessarily a good thing, more concentrated light from a more powerful diode is better imo. Check the planted tank, read up on the light before you buy it. I run 2 tanks with finnex and one with sat ' s, both are growing plants really well. Think there is a reason petco would sell a light for less than amazon?? Hmmmm.

I got the light on sale at petco, actually not on sale it was a mis mark expired sale they honored for me. It was normally about 179$. It was one of the lights I was viewing on amazon before I saw it at petco.

I guess Ill do some more research and see how it works while im away. Right now its on a timer from 10am to 7pm, prob too long honestly.
If I dont feel like its wokring Ill prob just opt for the Finnex at 80$.
I really just dont like how you NEED the remote to use the sat+. It would be nice if the light had an override for simply on and off.

just put the question on the planted tank!
Thanks for the forward

These are teh specs I could find at the 30" version for myself. I thought the fluval actually came out on top even next to the finnex.
But this is only my situation and Im new to lighting so I can be COMPLETELY wrong.

Fluval
Item # : A3980
UPC : 015561139809
Extendable range: 61-85 CM (24-34 IN)
Number of LEDs: 312
Wattage: 25 W
Lumens: 1,495 LM
Lux: 4,020
CRI: 5,200 K
Lifetime Hours: 50,000

Sattelite
24-36"
22.8" x 3.5" x 0.44"
18 watts
48 White/24 RGB (so thats 72 lights compared to 312?)
1000 lumens
Can find the hours anymore but I thought it was more around 30 something K total

For the extra 30$ after taxes and such the fluval doesnt seem like a bad buy since I actually dont like that you NEED the remote to use the sattelite (on and off) and even though the color change settings are nice its not something I would use often.

I guess time will tell and who knows, perhaps Ill end up with both eventually when I want to carpet plant :brows:.

You technically don't "need" the remote. I was talking to one of current's techs via phone, and found out that they sell timers which can support up to 2 lights. I thought that was pretty dope.

Last edited by a moderator:
drink more beer

WHY I WILL THANKS!

lol

Well so far in TWO DAYS of using this light all my plants look 200% better and IM NOT exaggerating.

running the past two days at about 8 hours a day my wisteria went from completely downturned leaves and limping over to ACTUALLY reaching up again, and the leaves look like they have found light. My smaller Val is not floating up again and the larger one is prob to soon to tell but there are about 2 VERY small shoots.
Also my banana plant is sprouting a new leaf.
Also the past like 4 days I had a pan light with a grow bulb shining in the water with the lid open so I am sure that may have kept things alive.

Im going to test this light a bit more. When I come back from vaca Ill decide if the 30$ is worth the return and order from Amazon.

Im sure the Finnex would be more than fine for the OP's tank and prob save him a few bucks.

Good to know though that my Wisteria actually turned out to be a med-high plant and still looks MUCH happier with this light, so Im sure I can get some decent plantage with this. (y)

Back
Top Bottom