Marineland Double Bright LED Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your experience with Marineland Double Bright LEDs and your planted aquarium?

• Would not grow anything but algae for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doesn't matter what they grow, they didn't last

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AtariST

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've read hundreds of posts. Many are from people espousing second or third hand information. Some are factually (and obviously) incorrect. So I'm going to try a poll. I'm asking only for responses from people who own or have owned Marineland Doublebright LED systems and tried using them to grow plants. Please only respond if you have first hand knowledge of the product and application.

If you do respond, please comment and include your tank size.

I'd love to start gathering some data on a variety of questions. This seems like a good start.

Thanks.

The tank I had was
36"x16x18
I had all the moss and fern in it so the growing fine, but still look very dim.

I've had one over my 45 gal. 24" deep tank for over a year. No luck growing plants. I tried hornwort, vals, anubias, duckweed, wysteria, and amazon sword. It will keep anubias alive, but not thriving.

I "almost" bought that fixture but after some careful research i avoided it for a planted tank application. So I'm probably not qualified to post on this thread since i don't own this fixture, so my apologies to the OP. I'd just like to interject because it's important to understand PAR in the context of LED's... Check out this comparison thread on this topic. Check out the PAR data under the Marineland Double bright fixture and you'll get a better idea of it's effectiveness or lack-there-of. Bottom line, there's better options out there for the money.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160396

Check out this comparison thread on this topic. Check out the PAR data under the Marineland Double bright fixture and you'll get a better idea of it's effectiveness or lack-there-of.

LED Lighting Compendium

It is this very page that inspires the most questions. It seems that the larger Double Brights may provide enough light (48-60 inch fixture: 35 PAR @ 24") to edge into supporting medium light (Values between 30-80 are considered medium light.).

Many nay-Sayers haven't used it but according to the page you listed, it should work just fine for low light plants. In fact, the numbers posted show it to be stronger than the TruLumen Pro (35 PAR vs 31 PAR@24") and I see a lot fewer people with negative comments about the Trulumens.

Back
Top Bottom