Marsilea Hirsuta expereince?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone had much experience with this plant as a foreground?

Also does anyone have a hand list of plants that do well in a small tank 2.5 gallon

I just striped mine down and want to put teh right plants in when I build it back up.

I am looking at the tropica catalog but its a bit overwhelming the amount.

Its two bad their is not a site that say you put in your variables
Tank Size
Amount of Light
Co2 or No

and it spits out a list of the best possible plants

Fish crazy dude I am asking for your experience with the plant not if I can grow it.

as for my 2.5 gallon tank tons of light think its 25 watts and excel will be source of carbon

First of all not to be rude but, my name is not "Fish crazy dude" it's Ben. or Goody for a nickname.

Well you ask for experience and you also ask for possible plants and I cannot give you the answer unless I know what's going on, so anyways that would work as a great fore-ground plant (you can get a great carpet effect with it.) It works with extremely low lights so that's also a plus, here is a link to a picture of a tank with it as a carpet (not my tank.) http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8136/ol9hy.jpg

Also since you wanted to know other possible plants, you can keep plants that are normally for bigger tank background plants with smaller tanks, just have to keep them trimmed more often.

Good back ground plants are hornwort, ambulia, asian ambulia, dwarf onion plant, giant hairgrass, moneywort, and willow leaf hygro. Those are ones that just come to mind.

Then of course java fern for either a background plant for small tanks or mid-ground plant for any tanks.

What i'm trying to experiment with is planting javamoss strips like grass and growing out a carpet that way.

But yeah like I said before Marsilea Hirsuta does work great for any lighting system and will look great, when you plant it though make sure you plant it evenly through out the substrate and not just in one big clup, spreading it out like this will make it grow more evenly and will let it grow faster because all the leaves are getting there indiviual lighting instead of just some getting more then others.

Back
Top Bottom