max wattage over 55gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about my lighting situation once again for after I get my CO2 situation under control. The plan is to upgrade my 2.5wpg of ODNO lighting to something a bit more once I get the CO2 injection setup, which should be within the next week or so. After that I plan to go heavily planted.

I was at work yesterday and saw that they were getting ready to throw out 5 warehouse metal halide fixtures, so I snatched them up. 4x 250w, 1x 175w. I plan on taking the reflectors off, remoting the ballasts and using them... not in a warehouse.

I already have a 175mh, so from lighting to pick from, I have 4x250 and 2x175. I'm thinking two fixtures would light my 55 wonderfully, but should I go with 300w (5.5wpg, 2x175w), 425w (7.7wpg, 1x175, 1x250) or 500w (9wpg, 2x250)?

Sounds like a lot of wattage to me.. maybe I'm crazy trying to put metal halides over a freshwater tank?

Any suggestions would be great!

My first thought is that you could make a lot of money selling them to a reefer! :)

MH over a 55 seems like a lot to me. Maybe if you had a 125 or 300 gallon setup. Hopefully someone else will chime in that has more experience with this than I do.

That will be too intense for most plants, unless you give it some distance above the tank. When I was running 520W CF over my 75G, I could not keep up with the dosing. It was like trying to jump into a NASCAR in the middle of a race. Just can't do it, at least I couldn't. Now if I had more time available, and really learned more about plant uptake, lighting, etc, then maybe. But currently, it's out of my realm. Just a little insite for you to think about as you create your plan. :)

Lonewolfblue said:
That will be too intense for most plants, unless you give it some distance above the tank. When I was running 520W CF over my 75G, I could not keep up with the dosing. It was like trying to jump into a NASCAR in the middle of a race. Just can't do it, at least I couldn't. Now if I had more time available, and really learned more about plant uptake, lighting, etc, then maybe. But currently, it's out of my realm. Just a little insite for you to think about as you create your plan. :)

Hmm.. in light of that, 2 more ODNO fixtures it is!

Back
Top Bottom