Mebbid's high tech 40b journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank looks great...

Thanks! :)

I ended up trading some of my Synodontis Petricola in because they were viciously fighting with my Orinoco Angel pleco.. Noobody messes with my Angel :)

But I got a great pair of GBR out of the deal!

tidhDsg.jpg

What lights do you use? Seems to give off a green/yellow tint in the picture.

Plants look great though ?

Sad to say but the plants are actually doing exactly what I was really hoping they wouldn't do. They are almost all dying from the switch of substrate types. My Alteranthera reineckii has lost all of its leaves in very short order and is nothing but stems, my red melon sword is losing all its leaves, micro chain sword is dying (although that's nothing new as it dies off every time it's moved), and my star repens is starting to drop leaves.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to stop it if anything?

What lights do you use? Seems to give off a green/yellow tint in the picture.

Plants look great though ?

I have 2 Aquatic life dual t5ho fixtures and the bulbs that come with them. So I have 2 pink roseate bulbs and 2 6000k bulbs. I'll probably switch around the color temperature of the bulbs when it comes time to replace them.

The yellow tinge in my tank is from tannins. Not sure if it's from the driftwood or the dirt although it's probably both. That particular piece of driftwood turned my water dark brown in my 29g tank for months before I stopped using it.

Well, I took a look the BBA algae thats starting to grow and at the par rating for my light fixture and I am sitting at around 140 par at substrate. I am going to have to rethink my lighting situation a bit :)

Ohh the joys of a planted tank kick off.. I feel your pain.. actually I dont... i feel the pain of a rookie planter.. not a veteran planter that has tore down a beauty to watch all.the hard work.melt before your very eyes.. so I empathetically feel your pain.. you'll get it sorted.. can you throw more.co2 at the issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohh the joys of a planted tank kick off.. I feel your pain.. actually I dont... i feel the pain of a rookie planter.. not a veteran planter that has tore down a beauty to watch all.the hard work.melt before your very eyes.. so I empathetically feel your pain.. you'll get it sorted.. can you throw more.co2 at the issue?

Nope, I think I'm going to stagger the lighting. One light on for 2 hours, both lights on for another 2 hour, then the one light on for the last 2 hours.

Then, just to be spiteful I'm going to put some DHG in there because I've never been able to grow it before :)

As for the rest of my plants, my star repens and vesuvius are the one's Im worried about. The tiger lotus, hammerleaf aponogeton, hygro, and crypts are doing good so I still have those. The hammerleaf is really the only one I can't replace easily.

Sounds good.. they'll surely come back after the initial die off?? That's why I want that 30 breeder.. easy DHG carpet party..well In theory anyways.. I'm predicting some awesome pictures on this thread in a month!

Sounds good.. they'll surely come back after the initial die off?? That's why I want that 30 breeder.. easy DHG carpet party..well In theory anyways.. I'm predicting some awesome pictures on this thread in a month!

Some will, some wont. I have dubious feelings about the Star repens survival. The last time I tried transplanting it into a dirted tank I lost 99% of it with none of it coming back. The alteranthera reineckeii is gone for good and the ruby melon sword might make it.

Nope, I think I'm going to stagger the lighting. One light on for 2 hours, both lights on for another 2 hour, then the one light on for the last 2 hours.

Then, just to be spiteful I'm going to put some DHG in there because I've never been able to grow it before :)

As for the rest of my plants, my star repens and vesuvius are the one's Im worried about. The tiger lotus, hammerleaf aponogeton, hygro, and crypts are doing good so I still have those. The hammerleaf is really the only one I can't replace easily.

Can you not just do a siesta period?

I can, but its really just too much light. Almost triple the par level of a high light tank.

How much larger are the gold fish in compairson to the other fish? Lots of fish will canablize on smaller fish if the size differental is great.

You've said it yourself.."there is suck thing as to much light" ;)

I can, but its really just too much light. Almost triple the par level of a high light tank.

A siesta period makes it harder for algae to survive.

I had bba before i switched to a BML xb with siesta period. I found that it hated being spot treated with hydrogen peroxide lol

A siesta period makes it harder for algae to survive.

I had bba before i switched to a BML xb with siesta period. I found that it hated being spot treated with hydrogen peroxide lol

My lighting witch seems ot have stalled its growth however I think that spot treating is next on my list.

Did someone say tannins?!?!?

Qh6p4bA.jpg

On the up side I think my GBRs made a breeding hole! :)

mONxnNz.jpg

UofGK23.jpg

ne of my angels found its way over there and both of the GBRs made a B line straight for their hole and stared it down until the angel left.

The tannins give it a warm, black water look.

Seconding that. kind of lends a biotope feel for me. My dw somehow never leeches enough

If you want some driftwood that leeches tannins then go with Mopani for sure. It leeches like crazy.

I'm still trying to decide whether I like it or not. I'm sure that my fish are enjoying it though since they like lower pH water. I don't know, I've never really allowed tannins to stay in my tank before.

If you want some driftwood that leeches tannins then go with Mopani for sure. It leeches like crazy.

I'm still trying to decide whether I like it or not. I'm sure that my fish are enjoying it though since they like lower pH water. I don't know, I've never really allowed tannins to stay in my tank before.

Most fish absolutely love the tannin. It makes them feel more at home. The primary reason aquarists don't prefer it is because it makes the water 'appear' dirty and reduces visibility in the water column. So, if you are ok with tannins, don't worry about your fish, you are simply making them love you more. :D

Yeah, I am convinced that mopani is just one giant tannin. I used to have a piece for my 29g, I boiled it for a solid 8 hours and it still leeched into the tank for a good 4 months.

Yeah, I am convinced that mopani is just one giant tannin. I used to have a piece for my 29g, I boiled it for a solid 8 hours and it still leeched into the tank for a good 4 months.

Apparently my GBRs are loving the tannins. Got a video of them breeding!

Back
Top Bottom