Medicine Sensitive Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently I treated my 29 gallon for internal nasties and after 1 full treatment I noticed something weird, established plants melting away to nothing. The affected plants wjere my pogostemon stellatus octopus, cryptocoryne wendtii red, downoi, and r. inundatus. I just want to post this incase anyone who has these plants pulls some prior to treating incase they melt. I treated witb Furan 2 and KanaPlex.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have noticed some troubles before - enough to be wary but not enough to pinpoint anything. Do you think it was the meds or did the meds change water chemistry eg from bacteria die off? Or something else?

I think it was the meds because I never had a mini cycle or fish or snails die (2 GBR, neon school, kuhli loaches, otocinclus, and MTS). If the water chemistry was off I would expect the snails and fish to show signs of distress before the plants would.
I didn't get a chance to add carbon to my filter until 2 days after I should have so that may have been an issue but I think it wasn't the ultimate reason. After running carbon for a week(2 packets that come with AC70 filters) the melting has stopped and the plants seem to be recovering.
Had to get more octopus online, but otherwise I haven't had to replace anything.

I treated the DT at xmass time on a catfish I couldn't catch and went through two courses of triple sulpha, then a course of furan 2 and half dose of kanaplax (all I had). Plants were mostly fine.

But have treated with furan 2 in a smaller tank and noticed plants going limp and fading away.

Would you suspect both or perhaps one of the other out of interest?

Without doing some experiments I couldn't tell you. Meds are kinda expensive to just test unfortunately :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I noticed that when I dosed PraziPro in my 16, the hornwort all died off to the stems. Came back in a different tank, but remained dead in that tank. Also observed some leaves melting on my sword, but the plant was fine.

Back
Top Bottom