Melon Sword's Leaves Turning Yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscusThis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I just started a 75 gallon lightly planted aquarium. I bought 2 melon swords, 2 wisteria, 3 amazon swords, and 3 chain swords. They are planted in sand and when I planted them I put root tabs beside each root system in the sand. I am running a zoo med t5ho fixture about 3'' off of the top of the tank. When I planted them I used a couple of flourish products which were excel, iron, and the one that has a few different things in it.(Forgive me I can't remember the name. The melon swords have some yellow leaves on them. There were a couple of yellow leaves when I bought them. I can't tell if they have turned more yellow. I was wondering, is there any transition die off and am I putting the right ferts in the tank. Is my light ok running 2 florasun bulbs. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have attached a pic of the melon swords to help you guys diagnose. thanks

They may have been grown out of water before you got them. If that's the case then the leaves they have now will die and new leaves should form. Cut out the dying leaves and see if new ones form. Should work quickly. Otherwise, your nitrates may be very low (or magnesium). What
is your nitrate level, btw?

Reactions: HN1
My nitrates are between 0-5 as I just started the tank. The LFS I bought them from had them in a tank. So they weren't grown out of water or at least not when I bought them. I have been supplementing with the ferts I mentioned. The leaves aren't all the way yellow just the the tips. Hopefully the iron I put in yesterday will help them. Any other advice?

The plant may still be adjusting to the new aquarium. You gave good ferts and your lights should allow you to grow anything you would like. Because your tank is so big it would make much more sense to mix your own liquid fertilizer. Google the PPS-Pro and EI methods. I use the PPS-Pro method and you save a ton of money and get great results. They both use the same dry fertilizers. Look up Green Leaf Aquariums.

Are you planing on adding more plants or waiting a bit?

I will have to look into the ferts you are referring to. I think I am going to wait a little while. I have a piece of driftwood coming from manzanita driftwood and I wanna make sure everything fits. I hope "one day" to have some discus in there. I want to make sure to get this plant thing down first. Do you have any experience with Discus?

Sure do. I kept discus in a 55 gallon planted tank for about 3 years but that was about like 8 years ago. It wasn't hard. I used liquid Amazon to tint the water in a controlled way. Also had co2 and RO water because the tap water where I live is really hard. People probably use different techniques now.

Did you raise them from juveniles or did you buy them as adults. I have been reading a great deal about these guys and I know I don't want to tackle planted tanks and discus at the same time. Plus my tank isn't completely ready. Hopefully the drift wood from manzanita driftwood turns out well. I just tested my hardness in the water and it is at 75 dh will that be ok for my plants? Thanks for all of your help

Back
Top Bottom