Melting plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam_3j

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I went on vacation for about two weeks and I left my sister to take care of my tank. I come home and my tank is completely green ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458481605.661623.jpg. It takes me about 3 weeks three water changed and digging up my old UV sterilizer to get my water clear again ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458481714.856333.jpg. Now I'm noticing that the plants I'm carpeting my tank with are starting to turn brown and melt away. What am I missing. Please help any one can.
I have a 90 gallon plant tank. 6 light T5, pressurized CO2, and I'm dosing with trace and iron

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those are star repens, correct? It has not happened in my tank but others have reported occasional melting in these plants. Not sure what the cause was, though (hopefully someone will chime in).

My guess would be the green water blocked all their light. If they were growing well before you went on vacation just keep doing what you have been doing and they should come back.

The green water was an algae bloom and it probably blocked all the light/ sucked up lots of nutrients in the water column

Back
Top Bottom