Mermaid Weed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Never had mermaid weed before. Ive read about it, and can't figure out what this little tuft of white stuff is!!! Not sure if its algae or something else. Wondering if the good folks here at AA can "help a brother out."

Thanks!
E

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453251369.358942.jpg

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Looks like BBA with debris clinging to it. Hit it with hydrogen peroxide or glut and see if it changes colors (and starting dying off) in a day or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like BBA with debris clinging to it. Hit it with hydrogen peroxide or glut and see if it changes colors (and starting dying off) in a day or so.

Any "how tos" on using those to treat bba? Also, what is glut?

Thanks

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

With a syringe (I use the plastic pediatric oral medicine syringes) you can dose several mLs of hydrogen peroxide directly onto the BBA.
Glut is short for Glutaraldehyde. It is the active ingredient found in Seachem Excel, API CO2 Booster, and Metricide 14 (a disinfectant). Dose glut as you would hydrogen peroxide. Within a few days the BBA will change from black to purple to pink then gray/white. Afterwards it often is eaten by shrimp/fish or simply disappears.
The above method is spot treating; filters are shut off for 15-20 minutes while dosing takes place. There is another method called the "1-2 Punch" upon which filters are left on and a much larger dose of glut/H2O2 is used. It is very effective on major outbreaks of BBA.
IMO the best prevention of BBA is increased water changes/decreased organic waste.

With a syringe (I use the plastic pediatric oral medicine syringes) you can dose several mLs of hydrogen peroxide directly onto the BBA.
Glut is short for Glutaraldehyde. It is the active ingredient found in Seachem Excel, API CO2 Booster, and Metricide 14 (a disinfectant). Dose glut as you would hydrogen peroxide. Within a few days the BBA will change from black to purple to pink then gray/white. Afterwards it often is eaten by shrimp/fish or simply disappears.
The above method is spot treating; filters are shut off for 15-20 minutes while dosing takes place. There is another method called the "1-2 Punch" upon which filters are left on and a much larger dose of glut/H2O2 is used. It is very effective on major outbreaks of BBA.
IMO the best prevention of BBA is increased water changes/decreased organic waste.

+1
Great advice Fresh‼️

I plan on dosing flourish excel directly on the area with a syringe. Never thought of turning the filter off but makes perfect sense!

Back
Top Bottom