Mesh between soil and sand cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UntimelyLord

Aquarium Advice Freak
I’ve read about some people putting a layer of mesh— like the plastic needle-point canvas, maybe— between their dirt and their sand cap. I even read of someone using a layer of leaves between the two, but the plastic seems like it would hold up better. Presumably this would help the with soil coming up through the sand and also prevents fish that root around in the sand like cories or kuhlis from turning up the dirt. Plant roots would grow down into the soil.
Is this a good idea?

I’m probably going to do this unless someone tells me it isn’t an okay idea. It will make moving plants difficult once the roots grow through the mesh but with a dirted tank I wasn’t going to really move the plants much anyway.

I really have no idea how this would work but it seems like it is a good idea to me. The only thing to consider would be, like you said, not being able to move your plants once they set in. Also, getting plastic that doesn't have anything harmful to your fish in it. Outside of that I don't see how it wouldn't work.

Maybe have your dirt layer, then a half inch layer of cap (sand / gravel) and then the plastic mesh and finally the main cap on top?

Thank you all for the replies!
I stopped by my LFS to pick up sand and I found this: “Rhyzomat”
It’s actually intended for similar purposes as what I’m looking for so I got it to use instead of the plastic mesh layer. It’s made of coconut husk, like the liners that can sometimes be found in the garden shop for hanging baskets.IMG_1167.jpg

Back
Top Bottom