Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2018, 02:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mesh between soil and sand cap

Iíve read about some people putting a layer of meshó like the plastic needle-point canvas, maybeó between their dirt and their sand cap. I even read of someone using a layer of leaves between the two, but the plastic seems like it would hold up better. Presumably this would help the with soil coming up through the sand and also prevents fish that root around in the sand like cories or kuhlis from turning up the dirt. Plant roots would grow down into the soil.
Is this a good idea?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Iím probably going to do this unless someone tells me it isnít an okay idea. It will make moving plants difficult once the roots grow through the mesh but with a dirted tank I wasnít going to really move the plants much anyway.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really have no idea how this would work but it seems like it is a good idea to me. The only thing to consider would be, like you said, not being able to move your plants once they set in. Also, getting plastic that doesn't have anything harmful to your fish in it. Outside of that I don't see how it wouldn't work.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I canít see any reason why this wouldnít work.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe have your dirt layer, then a half inch layer of cap (sand / gravel) and then the plastic mesh and finally the main cap on top?

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you all for the replies!
I stopped by my LFS to pick up sand and I found this: ďRhyzomatĒ
Itís actually intended for similar purposes as what Iím looking for so I got it to use instead of the plastic mesh layer. Itís made of coconut husk, like the liners that can sometimes be found in the garden shop for hanging baskets.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	311263

Tags
cap, oil, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com