Metricide 14 Day Solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cidex was one of the options in the calculator and I've read on other forums that its the same just stronger hence needs more dilution.

I've been dosing glut in my medium light, PPs Pro fert, root tabs, 16g that is full of Crypt Wendti for a year now. I dose 6ml of 50:50 dilute Metricide 14 every morning. They seem to love it. Here's the result.

Nice tank! It looks awesome. My tank will just be over a year old this March. I'm hoping my tank will look as green as yours by this time next year. I've learned much about the planted tank from this forum, and I think I almost have the right technique down. Although, I'm wondering why you use root tabs. Do you have special plant substrate, or normal substrate? I have a mix of Eco-Complete and Fluorite sand. Would root tabs be necessary for my tank? I use PPS pro along with Excel (until I run out and switch to Metricide 14).

Thanks Fish, I read that Crypts are root feeders so I use root tabs under them as well as PPS-Pro. I just have regular black Petco gravel in this tank.

Wow Karay, That's cheaper than metricide and will go further! Good find! OS.

Hmm. I'm trying to remember when I last put a root tab under my crypt. 3 or 4 months ago. Might be due. I do hope this cidex works out. Usually difficult getting thing like that here in Canada.

It's better than in Excel in that it is substantially cheaper. It comes with an activator bottle, you just toss that away. You can either dilute the Metricide 14 with water or dose it directly. I dilute mine and put it in the excel bottle I saved. It just makes it easier for me because I got so used to dosing the Excel that it's like muscle memory and I don't even think about it. But if you dose it direct, it's pretty easy to remember that it's 2X stronger, so you just dose 1/2 as much as you would Excel. It's just preference I suppose.

It's safe to both fish and inverts in moderation. If you overdose then it can become a problem. Just, what ever you do, be careful in handling glutaraldehyde products. Treat it as if you were handling bleach.

On another but very similar note, my Metricide 14 ran out recently and when I went on Amazon to buy another, it seems they have raised the price (last time I checked). So the lowest price I found it (1 gallon jug) was $20 shipped on eBay. But, it's a little deceptive in that the picture is of a Metricide 14 bottle, but in the decription it says something like "CIDEX METRICIDE OMNICIDE 14-DAY STERILIZATION GALLON" ... but I knew that and was expecting to get a bottle of Omnicide 14, rather than the pictured Metricide 14 bottle. They both have 2.6% glutaraldehyde anways. I was a little reluctant at first to get the Omnicide 14, but this topic was talked about heavily in another forum (TPT)... basically, Omnicide will do the same thing as Metricide 14 but cheaper, and both will do the same as Excel but WAAAAAAY cheaper. So get which ever for the best price.

What is 'Omnicide' refer to? I thought this added CO2?
And so, just make sure I am actually understanding this, because I planned to buy some Excel, if I were to purchase some of the Omnicide 14, I it would function, and have near the same effects as would the Excel?
And what does the '14 Day' refer to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

It adds "liquid carbon" , not CO2, and the active ingredient is glutaraldehyde. Metricide 14 and Omnicide 14 are essentially the same thing. They are originally meant as a dental surgical equipment steralizing agent that works for 14 days after the activator agent is added to the solution. But as we dose it, similarly to Excel, we don't use the activator. In fact, toss it away. Metricide and Omnicide are about 2 times stronger than Excel so we dilute it or dose less of it.

So think of these as 'generic' excel options... like generic pharmaceuticals that save you money. And to understand the usefulness of Excel, you can look at the FAQ's regarding Excel and apply that to Glut.

Seachem. Flourish Excel FAQ

Cidex Omnicide same as Metricide?

Okay, thank you so much!
And sorry, I was just curious as to what the 14 Day was referring to! :)
Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom