Metricide 14 Day Solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, I have been given the advice to get Metricide 14 Day Solution, but I have a few questions about it. I know that it is two times stronger than Flourish Excel. I'm not ready for a CO2 system yet in my opinion either. Here is the MAJOR question: Is Metricide 14 safe for fish and invertebrates? I don't have invertebrates at the moment, but I might get them in the future. I also have Cory Cats (not dwarf), but I'm afraid they'll uproot my small plants. Besides that, do I have to dilute the Metricide 14 Day Solution? Also, is it better than Flourish Excel or is it exactly the same? Thanks for the advice!

It's better than in Excel in that it is substantially cheaper. It comes with an activator bottle, you just toss that away. You can either dilute the Metricide 14 with water or dose it directly. I dilute mine and put it in the excel bottle I saved. It just makes it easier for me because I got so used to dosing the Excel that it's like muscle memory and I don't even think about it. But if you dose it direct, it's pretty easy to remember that it's 2X stronger, so you just dose 1/2 as much as you would Excel. It's just preference I suppose.

It's safe to both fish and inverts in moderation. If you overdose then it can become a problem. Just, what ever you do, be careful in handling glutaraldehyde products. Treat it as if you were handling bleach.

On another but very similar note, my Metricide 14 ran out recently and when I went on Amazon to buy another, it seems they have raised the price (last time I checked). So the lowest price I found it (1 gallon jug) was $20 shipped on eBay. But, it's a little deceptive in that the picture is of a Metricide 14 bottle, but in the decription it says something like "CIDEX METRICIDE OMNICIDE 14-DAY STERILIZATION GALLON" ... but I knew that and was expecting to get a bottle of Omnicide 14, rather than the pictured Metricide 14 bottle. They both have 2.6% glutaraldehyde anways. I was a little reluctant at first to get the Omnicide 14, but this topic was talked about heavily in another forum (TPT)... basically, Omnicide will do the same thing as Metricide 14 but cheaper, and both will do the same as Excel but WAAAAAAY cheaper. So get which ever for the best price.

Last edited:
It's better than in Excel in that it is substantially cheaper. It comes with an activator bottle, you just toss that away. You can either dilute the Metricide 14 with water or dose it directly. I dilute mine and put it in the excel bottle I saved. It just makes it easier for me because I got so used to dosing the Excel that it's like muscle memory and I don't even think about it. But if you dose it direct, it's pretty easy to remember that it's 2X stronger, so you just dose 1/2 as much as you would Excel. It's just preference I suppose.

It's safe to both fish and inverts in moderation. If you overdose then it can become a problem. Just, what ever you do, be careful in handling glutaraldehyde products. Treat it as if you were handling bleach.

On another but very similar note, my Metricide 14 ran out recently and when I went on Amazon to buy another, it seems they have raised the price (last time I checked). So the lowest price I found it (1 gallon jug) was $20 shipped on eBay. But, it's a little deceptive in that the picture is of a Metricide 14 bottle, but in the decription it says something like "CIDEX METRICIDE OMNICIDE 14-DAY STERILIZATION GALLON" ... but I knew that and was expecting to get a bottle of Omnicide 14, rather than the pictured Metricide 14 bottle. They both have 2.6% glutaraldehyde anways. I was a little reluctant at first to get the Omnicide 14, but this topic was talked about heavily in another forum (TPT)... basically, Omnicide will do the same thing as Metricide 14 but cheaper, and both will do the same as Excel but WAAAAAAY cheaper. So get which ever for the best price.

Wow. If it's cheaper in the long run, then it must be a good deal. Thanks

It's diluted 50:50. For example, 1/2gal Metricide with 1/2gal distilled water. This makes it close to the same strength as Excel. OS.

That would make slightly less effective than excel correct? Since the glut in excel is 1.5% in a gallon where as in metricide it is 2.6% per gallon. If it diluted 50/50 that would put it at 1.3% per gallon. Is my math correct?

Maybe my math is wrong but the difference between 1.5 and 1.3 is roughly 13.3% difference. Since the numbers are small, the small difference can have a big difference in the effectiveness. Lol it's late and I'm still fighting a head cold so I might not be thinking straight.

?????? 1.5% out of 100% total. 1.3% out of 100% total. Difference is 0.2% of the 100% total.
Maybe I'm missing something here? No matter, They're close enough for our application. OS.

I'm trying to word it in the way my mind is seeing it. In excel its 1.5% per gallon. Seems small and in fact that ratio gets a whole lot smaller when it's dosed in a larger amount of water (aquarium) but it makes a difference if you dose 1ml per 10gal vs 2ml per 10gal. If this is the case then in my thinking 13.3% difference can be quite a lot

Thank you very much for that. I didn't know that after a water change to do a larger dose. The calculator helps immensely. Does glut affect crypt? I've been using the co2 booster by API and I noticed I have a leaf melting. Ordering the metricide 14 tonight.

Glut on Crypts

I've been dosing glut in my medium light, PPs Pro fert, root tabs, 16g that is full of Crypt Wendti for a year now. I dose 6ml of 50:50 dilute Metricide 14 every morning. They seem to love it. Here's the result.

Attachments

• DSCF1106.jpg
    DSCF1106.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 88
That is a beautiful tank! Something to strive after. I wonder if it's because I just started and it's new to the crypt.

Thanks Karay,
Its a Marineland Planted LED. Its only medium light and now there are ones just as good for much less. Crypts are slow to adjust and get established and really don't like their roots disturbed. Once they do they are a great low maintenance plants. One of my favorites. These Crypts were from two small halves of a gel pack I got at Petsmart right at one year ago. OS.

Nice. I have a double bright and a single bright over my 32gal. Plants are growing well but so is the algae. I've come to think its due to the lack of carbon and hoped doing it would help diminish it. I've been lucky that it's been only on the rocks and front glass so cleaning it off is simple enough.

The glut will help. It's side benefit is that it is a mild algaecide. Your lights should be great. When you get the glut and start dosing you could lower your light period time to 6 hrs until algae gets under control then slowly up the period by 30 min at a time until you see it again then back off to previous time. That will be your sweet spot. OS.

The glut will help. It's side benefit is that it is a mild algaecide. Your lights should be great. When you get the glut and start dosing you could lower your light period time to 6 hrs until algae gets under control then slowly up the period by 30 min at a time until you see it again then back off to previous time. That will be your sweet spot. OS.

I thought as much. I'll need to get the timer hooked back up to the lights. I just ordered cidex which is 3.4% glut for $15 for 4qt. I'm thinking that will last a while. I'm planning a 125gal and 90gal planted tanks that will be running pressurizing co2. Any benefit to dosing glut as well?

You bet! I'm doing pressurized CO2 now and I still like using the same dose of glut in the tank. A tip given to me by my beloved Rivercats. Hmm Cidex? I'll check it out too. OS.

Back
Top Bottom