Metricide dilution question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ray,

Keep us posted. I tried doing some digging on Metrex's website yesterday, but I didn't get anywhere with my search. Maybe we should pose this question to the company itself to get a definitive answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a sneaking suspicion the response would go something like this err hmmm
"We do not condone or reccomend the use of our product in aquariums, while it seems to be generating a nice boost in annual profits you're on your own chief, now.. off to my yacht! Jeeves!! The crystal!!!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hahaha... Yes, I can see it now. Sailing into the sunset on the yacht called "The Aquarist's Folly"

I was thinking an innocent inquiry along the lines of, "your product says it contains surfactants... Would they be in the bottle or the activator? You know... For storage purposes (wink wink)"

Hello? Hello?

Must have gotten disconnected...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol "The Aquarists Folly"! Nice!
I was busy with work yesterday and meetings in the evening so was unable to dose last night. Of course I'm paranoid to dose now for fear of losing fish. I have some very nice GBR that I paid a good price at an auction for and I don't like the idea of losing them. I sent a pm to aqua_chem. Hopefully we can get some input from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Cheers, Ray

If you shake the Metricide 30 does it get frothy? That's usually a good indication that it does or doesn't have surfactants in it. Unfortunately their MSDS doesn't report the ingredients for proprietary reasons, which is unfortunately typical (Seachem does the same thing).

That being said, remember that whatever you dose will be getting diluted roughly 20,000 fold with the recommended dosing above (1ml/2 gal oer Excel, 1ml/4gal at full strength), so it would hopefully be diluted in near irrelevance.

If you shake the Metricide 30 does it get frothy? That's usually a good indication that it does or doesn't have surfactants in it. Unfortunately their MSDS doesn't report the ingredients for proprietary reasons, which is unfortunately typical (Seachem does the same thing).

That being said, remember that whatever you dose will be getting diluted roughly 20,000 fold with the recommended dosing above (1ml/2 gal oer Excel, 1ml/4gal at full strength), so it would hopefully be diluted in near irrelevance.

I did shake it and it does froth up. Are you suggesting that due to the dilution it's probably safe to use and if so at what dosing again? Was a little confused by 1ml/2gal and 1ml/4gal

My wife is wishing she didn't suggest that I get into aquariums!

I did shake it and it does froth up. Are you suggesting that due to the dilution it's probably safe to use and if so at what dosing again? Was a little confused by 1ml/2gal and 1ml/4gal

My wife is wishing she didn't suggest that I get into aquariums!

In all honesty man.. just get the 14, i know it's a couple bucks but I'm guessing you have it or else you'd have fake plants;) everyone knows planted tanks are an absolute money pit..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom