Metricide vs Excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexgcraig

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read on a few posts that metricide can be toxic to me and fish? I see excel isn't that great either from that perspective... Any thoughts?

Lots of people use both products. The Metricide is much less expensive.
Just use a little caution when handling, and you should be fine. I have used it for over a year with no ill effects( except the third eye I am growing) LOL Just kidding.

I've been using both for years. You can use gloves if your worried. As for my live stock I've never seen it cause problems even at high doses. For example right now I've been using it at high doses for 2 years in my 220g. Many of my fish spawn in that tank.

Excel and Metricide are both the same thing - Glutaraldehyde. Used properly, it is not harmful to either you or the fish. I've used Excel for some time and recently switched to Metricide 14 instead as it's substantially cheaper by volume. You do not need to, but I dilute the Metricide with distilled water at a 1:1 ratio. This allows you to dose at the same rate as Excel.

When mixing and dosing, you should use caution so as not to get either Excel or Metricide in your eyes or on your skin. Otherwise, there are very likely things you use daily that are far more "dangerous" and/or "harmful."

It's not toxic to fish or shrimp at recommended dosages, and "minimally" toxic at up to 3x recommended dosage (some of the more sensitive species of shrimp will not like this though).

To humans, it's going to be most dangerous if you get it in your eyes or swallow it. There is risk of developing allergic contact dermatitis after frequent exposure for many years, so be reasonable and avoid contact when possible. This is mostly seen in the medical field where glutaraldehyde is used to col sterilize tools, not so much in aquaria though.

Thanks for all the feedback! I had a feeling the fears were a little far fetched, seems the easiest is to just do 1/2 excel dosing and not bother with mixing with water....

Back
Top Bottom