Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I posted earlier that I thought I had purchased some riccia:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/riccia-fluitans-crystalwort-246199.html#post2327522

I took another look at the plant and I think I was mistaken. The leaves of the plant are distinct and blade-like - much like a little bunch of bermuda grass. I looked at the "root" structure again. What I thought to be absent, I noticed that where the plant turns from green to white, the blade narrows to a more tubular appearance, and at this point, there is a node with a few small brown hairs, a few mm long. This supposed root structure upon first glance is almost non existent. The white part of the plant does not appear to be of a different texture than the stem or leaf. In fact, it doesn't look like a root at all, just a white stem.

Just by looking at it, it doesn't appear to be dwarf hairgrass, dwarf Sagittaria, Blyxa Japonica, or narrow-leave microsword.

I will have to try and get a picture and post one up to help in identification. Does my description sound like Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis is a possibility?

comparing Utricularia graminifolia and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis on google images and then trying to reconcile with my memory, I'm unable to say one way or the other.

However, I just stopped by the store and spoke with a guy I've delt with before. He is pretty knowedgeable, has several tanks of his own, one of them is planted. I described to him the plant, where it was in the store's tank and when I bought it and he knew right away what it was. He said it was a micro sword but was more densly potted then he normally sees. He said he figures is was growing in a dense mat and lost a lot of the root structure when transfered to the rockwool. Then, being that petco doesn't have its plants they sell under intense lighting, it didn't develop and roots while potted.

I will still post a picture, I would like to know your opinion.

A couple pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 80
I can post some pics of my microsword in about 4 hours.

A couple pics:

On Saturday I bought a pot of this at Petco and it was named Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis. I've seen some sites that say it requires high light and others that say it requires medium. I'm at 1.92 wpg with PC lighting with a PAR rating that is on the fringes of medium lighting. So I'm hoping with a good substrate (Eco-Complete) and some basic trace element dosing, along with the fish load, that I can get it to grow. I haven't had any die off yet, but then again I haven't had it very long.

Pretty sure that's Microsword.

Thanks, hopefully it will take. I added an additional root tab in the front left corner last night. Hopefully the nutrients + CO2 will make up for my barely sufficient lighting.

BTW, the pictures posted above were taken with the 18w FloraSun out, it had been out for at least 2 days before I noticed. Soon after I took the pictures I put an old GE aquarays bulb in and the leaves perked up much straighter.

Heres a pic of my microsword

Attachments

• image-329337809.jpg
    image-329337809.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom