Microswords - does excel melt them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thanks, I will. I was doing some searches on the two different methods to get the pros and cons of each. All the threads I found were all a bit technical and over my head!!

From your comment seems like you think either would work for my set up? I only ask because I saw somewhere that EI was for higher light tanks and I believe mine is barely medium light (because of the tank height at 24")?

They operate on 2 separate principles of fertilizing.

EI - Floods the tank with nutrients making it so the plants never run out of any single nutrient that they need. This uses up a lot of ferts and necessitates a 50% weekly water change.

PPS Pro - Give the plants just what they can use during a photo period. Uses less fertilizers but can require a bit of tweaking to get right.

I've used both and they are both really good systems. I currently use PPS Pro for no real particular reason other than it's what I have written down for the mixing formula... :)

They operate on 2 separate principles of fertilizing.

EI - Floods the tank with nutrients making it so the plants never run out of any single nutrient that they need. This uses up a lot of ferts and necessitates a 50% weekly water change.

PPS Pro - Give the plants just what they can use during a photo period. Uses less fertilizers but can require a bit of tweaking to get right.

I've used both and they are both really good systems. I currently use PPS Pro for no real particular reason other than it's what I have written down for the mixing formula... :)

Ok thanks. If EI does not need tweaking maybe that might be better for me as sounds easier. I will do some reading up on it.

Oh ok thanks. More reading.....am seeing people saying EI is intended for higher growth while PPS Pro is slower growth. I know you've done both. Any truth?

PPS might be a little slower but it wasn't a hugely noticable difference

Swords are monster root feeders. Root tabs and half decent lighting and they'll blow up.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Swords are monster root feeders. Root tabs and half decent lighting and they'll blow up.

Well that was what I hoped but sadly no!! I used root tabs and have 2.3wpg t5ho bulbs but alas they are not growing at all. Not even a little!!

What substrate do you have? Soil? Sand? Gravel?

Also, wpg isn't really that effective a rating. PAR more than anything, and light wavelength are far more important.

What substrate do you have? Soil? Sand? Gravel?

Also, wpg isn't really that effective a rating. PAR more than anything, and light wavelength are far more important.

Just gravel. Yes I don't know why I quoted the wpg as I know it's not a good measurement. I think par at the gravel is around 35-40.

Gravel isn't an amazing substrate for root feeders, unfortunately.

Gravel isn't an amazing substrate for root feeders, unfortunately.

Yes, I wish I had done more research before setting up my tank. Would have done it differently for sure! But, gravel is what I have. I've seen plenty of others with root feeders say gravel is fine as long as you put in root tabs which I have so not sure what the problem is, but I think it might be lack of ferts. I am hoping they will get going once my PPS Pro dosing starts. Dry ferts shipped today!!

Back
Top Bottom