Milky water with new co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the last week ive started using pressurised co2. Now my water is milky. What is causing this and why??
Thanks

It could be any number of things, related or unrelated to the CO2 injection.

What method of injection/diffusion are you using with the CO2?

How old is the tank?

My guess is, it is either a bacterial bloom unrelated to the CO2 injection, in which case it will clear up in a few days or a week... or microbubbles that are being introduced into your tank by your diffusion method that is causing the water column to appear turbid.

Just an ordinary glass diffuser and its pressurised co2. Tank is 4 months old and ive made no changes to the way i clean my filters. I cant see it being bacterial related tbh

Bacterial blooms happen frequently in newer tanks like this. I'd give it a few days and see what happens. It isn't your co2 in my opinion. I have run pressurized co2 on many tanks through the years and never seen it cause clarity issues ever unless the co2 is diffused using the mist method.

Is the diffuser just running in the tank or are the bubbles getting sucked into a filter / powerhead?

What are your parameters?

Ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40. Heavily planted. Diffuser is straight into tank other end to the filter. Might this be the problem. Heres a before and after co2....
Before
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390685686.601307.jpg

After
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390685742.507334.jpg

Ive only had co2 a week

Thanks for trying to help as im at a loss and its frustrating me :(

Looks like a bacterial bloom to me. Not uncommon at all in a tank established for 4 months

How long do you run your lights? Take a sample of your tank water and put it in a pure white cup or bowl. If it has any green to it, you have an algae bloom. Probably you were right at the edge of having it and the CO2 just kicked it into occurring. If it's grey or tan it's bacterial. hope this helps, OS.

How long do you run your lights? Take a sample of your tank water and put it in a pure white cup or bowl. If it has any green to it, you have an algae bloom. Probably you were right at the edge of having it and the CO2 just kicked it into occurring. If it's grey or tan it's bacterial. hope this helps, OS.

I run 4pm to 10pm monday-friday and on saturday and sunday i run them 10-12 and then 4-10. Its my weekly water change and deep clean tomorrow. Im going to try your tip with the water in a white cup. Will also try to look for any dead fish or dead plant matter that might be causing this. I can account for all fish but id have to search for shrimp

Right now that ive done my water change i can perhaps shed more light on this. Before i started i discovered the water has a slightly green tinge to it. Have very recently moved into the world of high tech so perhaps my ferts and co2 and lighting is out of balance, allowing algae to bloom??
Secondly i have found one of my neon rasboras dead. Dont know how long its been dead for or what it died of. I immediately tested water params before water change. All is ok. I was expecting to see an ammonia/nitrite spike but there was neither. I have done a larger than normal water change. In my mind this rules out a bacterial bloom but let me know your thoughts please.

Hope this sheds some more light on this for you guys to offer valuable advice and opinions...

Thanks

Algae bloom. Milky led me to think bacteria but I should have asked to check color. It should also run its course. I'd reduce lighting and maybe even cut the lighting and co2 completely for 3 days.

Why do i keep getting alerts on this that people have replied but they arent updating and showing on this?

Back
Top Bottom