Mineralized Topsoil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know a simple recipe to create some MT? If not this then what are some good dirt recipes?

I've always used the basic writeup that pops up when you google it. I even sold packages of it for a while last year, may do it again this year if I have leftovers when I redo some tanks. I think the hardest part is finding the clay/dolomite/potash.

jetajockey said:
I've always used the basic writeup that pops up when you google it. I even sold packages of it for a while last year, may do it again this year if I have leftovers when I redo some tanks. I think the hardest part is finding the clay/dolomite/potash.

Yah i have no clue where to get the dolomite or potash. Is it even worth it to make the MT? Is the soil u have hard to make?

Yah i have no clue where to get the dolomite or potash. Is it even worth it to make the MT? Is the soil u have hard to make?

I actually had the dolomite ordered in along with clay powder, as it is much easier to work with. I found potash at a local garden center. I used to sell the clay/potash/dolomite in a little kit for like $10 to save people the trouble of trying to locate everything. I live in a fairly large area and still couldn't find clay powder or the proper dolomite. Clay powder is a lot easier to work with since it mixes easier. Plus you need to make sure you get actual raw clay and not the synthetic stuff. I use a carbondale red clay which is very high in iron. Dolomitic lime in the garden center is not the right stuff, that stuff is actually caustic and shouldn't be used in aquaria.

Instead of using dolomite I've heard of some people using crushed/powdered coral/aragonite as well.

It's not really that labor intensive unless you do a lot. I have a setup to streamline it. What I do is soak the soil for a few hours then lay it out on a rubber tarp. I spray it with the water hose to resoak it once a day or every other day depending on how dry it gets. After a few weeks it's usually good to go. At that point I let it dry thoroughly and then run it through a sifter that I made out of some 2x4's and some screen door mesh.

jetajockey said:
I actually had the dolomite ordered in along with clay powder, as it is much easier to work with. I found potash at a local garden center. I used to sell the clay/potash/dolomite in a little kit for like $10 to save people the trouble of trying to locate everything. I live in a fairly large area and still couldn't find clay powder or the proper dolomite. Clay powder is a lot easier to work with since it mixes easier. Plus you need to make sure you get actual raw clay and not the synthetic stuff. I use a carbondale red clay which is very high in iron. Dolomitic lime in the garden center is not the right stuff, that stuff is actually caustic and shouldn't be used in aquaria.

Instead of using dolomite I've heard of some people using crushed/powdered coral/aragonite as well.

It's not really that labor intensive unless you do a lot. I have a setup to streamline it. What I do is soak the soil for a few hours then lay it out on a rubber tarp. I spray it with the water hose to resoak it once a day or every other day depending on how dry it gets. After a few weeks it's usually good to go. At that point I let it dry thoroughly and then run it through a sifter that I made out of some 2x4's and some screen door mesh.

Do u still make this kit? Ill check YouTube to check if there are any videos on how to make it. U should make one.

I actually had a writeup on doing MTS, it went down with my old site. I may do another one again now that I'm about to do a few more MTS tanks this year.

I can send a bubble mailer with 1/2lb clay and 3 oz of dolomite/potash mix for $12.50 shipping included. It's enough to do up to about a 29g, maybe a little bigger if you stretch it. The nice thing is the recipe isn't exact so you can wiggle a little.

jetajockey said:
I actually had a writeup on doing MTS, it went down with my old site. I may do another one again now that I'm about to do a few more MTS tanks this year.

I can send a bubble mailer with 1/2lb clay and 3 oz of dolomite/potash mix for $12.50 shipping included. It's enough to do up to about a 29g, maybe a little bigger if you stretch it. The nice thing is the recipe isn't exact so you can wiggle a little.

Awesome. Can i pm u when i need it? IM in the process if moving and once in all settled i will be setting up a 10g and a 5g. For my 55 i think i will just do a garden soil with some clay. This is a little off topic but i am going to be getting a new fluval c2 filter and im not sure what media to put in place of the activated carbon. What do u suggest is best

From what I understand, "mineralized topsoil" is top soil thats been spread on a tarp, and then wet down, allowed to dry, then wet down and dried, over and over, until all the organic material has decomposed into it's mineral components. This means the soil won't decompose in your tank where the gasses produced from the decomposition could be harmful to your aquarium.

Once mineralize the soil is then mixed with a few things to create the aquarium soil, (like dolmite, potash, and if needed, extra clay).

Deep Seven said:
From what I understand, "mineralized topsoil" is top soil thats been spread on a tarp, and then wet down, allowed to dry, then wet down and dried, over and over, until all the organic material has decomposed into it's mineral components. This means the soil won't decompose in your tank where the gasses produced from the decomposition could be harmful to your aquarium.

Once mineralize the soil is then mixed with a few things to create the aquarium soil, (like dolmite, potash, and if needed, extra clay).

Oh OK thanks for the clarification :) any more suggestion on filter media?

Back
Top Bottom