Mini cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoutylad22

Aquarium Advice Activist
I checked my water parameters this morning, everything was fine apart from the ammonia was reading 1.0ppm. I immediately did a 50% water change.

My tank parameters have been spot on since it was cycled back in March. I did add some new media to the internal filter at the weekend and I'm thinking that this has lead to the rise in ammonia and caused a "mini cycle".

Do I just need to keep up with the water changes?

Do I perform these once a day until the ammonia drops back down to zero?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does sound like adding the media has set it off yes. Seachem Prime and other products will detoxify the ammonia to help you out. Otherwise water changes to keep ammonia down around 0.25. Also watch for a nitrite spike after the ammonia.

Did you add media or did you replace??

Adding media or sponges/floss will not cause a mini cycle. Will simply provide more surface area to create a larger beneficial bacteria colony.

If you have replaced new for old then you have effectively removed your beneficial bacteria and will either be at a mini cycle or possibly at the beginning again. Depends how much was removed

Old media should never be thrown out!! Can be gently rinsed and washed in tankwater ONLY but dont ever let it dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom