Mini planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about doing a big fishbowl-size planted tank, maybe putting a snail or few RCS in there to grow out and move into my 8gal. Would rather not deal with a filter.

If I use water from my main tank, also planted (10-20ppm nitrate, usually), for PWCs would that be acceptable? (I'm assuming so but hey, you never know.)

Better to use treated tap water. You can dose with a small amount of fertilizer if necessary.

I'm guessing I should base my PWCs off of the nutrient levels then?

If I leave it as just plants, no snails/shrimp, then how often should I do a PWC?

Yeah, fresh water is going to be better than water from your tank.

How much lighting are you planning on having on it?

Haven't figured it out quite yet-- low light definitely though.

ETA: having trouble finding a small fixture... all fluorescent desk lamps are apparently hideously expensive? I take it a CFL won't really work? or what's the deal with CFLs? I remember there's something funky with them...

For a low light tank, you won't need to mess with ferts or CO2.

Are you really using a bowl? or a small tank? There's nothing wrong with CF lighting at all, really, especially for small tanks. Issues arise with deep tanks, but that's not the case you have here.

Look over at catalinaaquarium.com, they have some very good, cheap stuff, that you might be able to work something out from.

I'm not sure what container I'll be using... it depends on what my christmas money will buy you see...

If a CFL will be OK for this sort of thing then I think I have a lamp already.

Back
Top Bottom