minimalist tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limnologist

Aquarium Advice Freak
so Ive decided to get back into my aquariums about a year ago, when i got all my equipment out though, i didnt have any working filters. I had chosen to just fill one of my ten gallon tanks with sand, driftwood, a boatload of plants and then throw in a few fish. I have a bubble stone running in it and only do water changes once a week. ive never had a tank look so amazing with no cleaning or filtration. i currently have a couple baby angels, a kuhli loach, baby bristlenose plec, blueberry shrimp, couple baby bluegill, and a few mosquito fish in it. Im using it as a grow out tank, but i might just make it my main planted tank. Havent used any fertilizer or CO2 but looks amazing. Anyone ever try a no filter set up with a bigger tank??

No filter on a big tank is asking for trouble if u ask me. Biggest issue is flow. Plants need flow to keep algae off them and to also float nutrients past there leaves etc.

To be honest over a few weeks u will see deficiencies even in your small tank. Once the nutrients run out algae will take over and the plants will die. I'd be trying to get even a small HOB for it.

Bigger tanks want around 10x tank turn over per hour if possible.

its been goin strong for about a year. never any fluctuations, all the snails and baby plecos take care of the algae. it gets air flow from water changes and the air bubbler.i believe my dad had a bigger version of it and he called it a natural aquarium but i dont really remember.

technically speaking, its a miniature pond with higher airflow.

also, its not exactly true that plants NEED flow to keep away algae. I think the key is finding a way to replicate a pond or lake, and isnt that what keeping aquariums was originally about? replicating the natural water habitat?

also, its not exactly true that plants NEED flow to keep away algae. I think the key is finding a way to replicate a pond or lake, and isnt that what keeping aquariums was originally about? replicating the natural water habitat?

100% disagree. Lakes get flow/ nutrients from water run off etc. ponds grow algae in a big way unless water can be filtered in some form. I've never seen aquatic plants thrive in stagnate water.

Just my opinion

an enormous group of plants specifically need stagnant water to thrive though. plants need food, water and oxygen as a basis, whether or not there is flow is not entirely important. besides, if my plants and fish can grow better than they ever have in a non filtered ten gallon, im sure it will be the same story in a 50 gallon. however, you should do some research on pods, bogs and swamp plants.

an enormous group of plants specifically need stagnant water to thrive though. plants need food, water and oxygen as a basis, whether or not there is flow is not entirely important. besides, if my plants and fish can grow better than they ever have in a non filtered ten gallon, im sure it will be the same story in a 50 gallon. however, you should do some research on pods, bogs and swamp plants.

Don't ask the question if u think you know the answer. No offence but I was just giving my advice based on what I have read and experienced through having a planted tank

Don't ask the question if u think you know the answer. No offence but I was just giving my advice based on what I have read and experienced through having a planted tank

but isnt it better to ask other opinions instead of just doin some research and assuming youre right? that's kinda the whole reason I joined this forum....
And it is kinda anti-progressive to tell someone to not ask a question. all questions are good questions.

I suggest u have a read on barr report and ukaps forum, both suggest atleast 8x tank turn over per hour. A lot of plants won't grow without ferts and co2 and flow.

I'm not saying it can't be done but in my experience no flow = algae issues.

Honestly, Im not surprised that it's working alright. Aquariums aren't that hard. We tend to over complicate things. I will suggest that you lighten your stock a little bit, but thats just me. Four angels in a ten gallon tank is a bad idea. They will be stunted soon if they aren't already. Could we see a picture of your tank?

Pics of this tank please?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly, Im not surprised that it's working alright. Aquariums aren't that hard. We tend to over complicate things. I will suggest that you lighten your stock a little bit, but thats just me. Four angels in a ten gallon tank is a bad idea. They will be stunted soon if they aren't already. Could we see a picture of your tank?

there are only two baby angels and they wont be there long

alright, if i did this right, here are the pics of my ten gallon. no heater, filter, water tests, special media, ect. every now and then i do a water change. i barely fed the fish since there are many insects and breeding shrimps. they water stays warm from the light I use, the hair algae grows thick sometimes but if the fish dont eat it, i remove it and feed it to my goldfish.

Attachments

• Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Picture 099.jpg
    Picture 099.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 48
alright, if i did this right, here are the pics of my ten gallon. no heater, filter, water tests, special media, ect. every now and then i do a water change. i barely fed the fish since there are many insects and breeding shrimps. they water stays warm from the light I use, the hair algae grows thick sometimes but if the fish dont eat it, i remove it and feed it to my goldfish.

by the way, the calico faintail and the comet are only in there for a moment. the tank i had for them started leaking.
right now, i have mosquito fish, a kuhli loach, a baby bristlenose, blueberry shrimp, a super tiny baby bluegill, and the baby angels living in it.

Back
Top Bottom