Mist and CO2 levels.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, after running my tank for 2 months with mist, and have had explosive results, I thought it was time to share a few things here. Any comments or questions are welcome.

Well to start, I'm now using 100% CO2 mist. No reactors at all. Here's my setup....

I have 1 MaxiJet 600 Powerjet in the lower right corner with a limewood airstone directly under the powerhead. The powerhead is mounted to the right side of the tank, and directed at about a 25-30 degree angle to the back of the aquarium (something you will play with to get the right angle for your setup), and slightly down. This will cause the water and CO2 to deflect off the back wall and then under the plants, so the CO2 will rise through the plants. Bubble rate of 1.5 bubbles per second.

I also have a Rio 180 powerhead at the top of the tank on the back wall, in the center. It's at the waterline, and the output is straight out and slightly up, creating surface aggitation. Why surface aggitation on a CO2 tank? Two reasons: 1. To bump the O2 levels up. 2. To take the rising CO2 and kick it back down the front glass of the tank and back under the plants, to rise once again through the plants.

Now for my results.....

1. Explosive Growth.
2. My kh is 60 and ph is 6.0 (lowest reading on the test kit, so probably lower).
3. CO2 levels? 102ppm+
4. Fish also doing very well.
5. Extremely minimal algae (What little I do get is just green algae on the glass, and a little on the plant leaves, but hurts nothing.)
6. Minimal plant movement due to placement of the powerheads.

That's all with no reactors and lots of surface aggitation, and only a bubble rate if 1.5 bubbles per second. These results should be able to be accomplished with any DIY setup, if you are getting a consistant 1.5 bubbles per second.

You likely need to measure CO2 using a KH method reference.

see other thread.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Kind of complicated for me, I still don't fully understand it, lol...

But I do have confidence in my AP test kit. Back when I was using a ph controller, and had it properly calibrated, my Hagen ph test kit was off quite a bit, but the AP ph test kit was dead on. When the controller said 6.4, I tested with the AP and it was exactly 6.4 as well. But the Hagen was 6.8-7.0. So I tossed that ph kit.

Also, with the growth, and minimal algae, as well as healthy looking fish, it's close enough for me to say I've accomplished a major feat in my tank, going from algae that I couldn't stop and was doing blackouts every 4-5 weeks, to a pristine setup.

Now I get to do the fun stuff, play with new plants, try new harder to grow plants, and other fun stuff, as I think I got my algae problems fixed. :)

Very cool, it sure is a nice to feel like your making some headway in this sometimes frustrating hobby! Great work LWB :)

To make a KH reference solution:
Add 4.99 grams of baking soda (cooked for 45 min etc) to 5 liters of water.
A scale can be borrowed from friends etc, or may be purchased on line for 10-20$ on ebay etc.

A volumetric water measuring? A graduated cylinder is cheap for the dilutions and for the 5 liters, the typical measuring cup with mls works fine.

Regards,
Tom Barr

The only thing I would need is the volume meter to get the amount of water. I already have a good digital scale which I use for my ferts, paid a pretty penny for it, but well worth it. :)

Ebay seels nice 1000mls volumetric flask for about 10-15$.
I use old TMG Jugs which are 5 liters, once you make the 5 liters, you can transfer it to any size you want, but you need to be able to measure water for the dilutions also.

So if you want to make 1000ml of KH ref solution from the 5 liter 40KH batch: add 100mls of the ref 40KH solution to a 1000ml flask, top off to 1000mls using DI water.

Simple.

So all you need for 1 liter amounts:
100ml volumtric flask and 1000ml vol flask.

You can also use 5 x 1000mls fills to make the 5liter volume as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

And I will be waiting for the classifed section post for some of this. So whomever wants to make some up, I will surely take some.

You want pics? You got pics... Here they are.....

CO2 system...
co2rig12.jpg

Left Side Aquaclear.....
co2rig7.jpg

co2rig8.jpg

Right Side Aquaclear.....
co2rig9.jpg

Right Side Rio 180...
co2rig10.jpg

Left Side Rio 180...
co2rig11.jpg

Stupid question...Why don't you send the C02 to powerheads on both sides on the tank using a Tee? It seems like that would ensure a better distribution of gas while maintaining the same bubble rate.

You also need a Tee and 2 needle valves to do that idea effectively.

I use that approach for large tanks(but use a venturi valve to add CO2) and for larger reactor methods I will use pairs and add CO2 enriched water on both sides with a lot of current to mix well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I have a 3-way manifold on my regulator, with 3 needle valves. 2 going to the 75G, and the 3rd to a 10G.

Back
Top Bottom