Mistake made, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I made the classic mistake of listening to the pet store guy.
I was looking for pygmy chain sword for my 20 gallon tank. Of course no stores sell it so I went out of town to a store that claimed to carry it. And OF COURSE when I show up all if the sudden they don't have it. So I left with a different carpeting plant that this guy swore would work in my tank. It's called Staurogyne repens.
Of course I didn't Google it in store because I was in a rush to get out before traffic. So it's been planted for 2 days and I decided to look it up. It's not going to work in my tank.

My tank is 20 gallons, (apparently) low light, no c02, yes fertilizer, no heater (temp 72f constantly)and a sand substrate.
This plant needs medium to high light, c02, fertilizer and a rich nutrient substrate.

Tldr: Does Staurogyne repens stand a chance in my tank or should I take it out and sell it? I just wanted a low tech planted tank.

Hello Sara...

Trying to grow aquarium plants in an environment other than what's recommended is most times a wasted effort. I attempted to grow Dwarf Hairgrass in lower light recently. It grew, but the not the way it should have. It wasn't nearly as nice as what I could have accomplished if I'd given the plant a better growing environment. It was a disappointment and I learned again, not to try to grow a plant in a different environment other than what's recommended.

Anyway, you have a choice. Go to the extra effort to set up the right conditions or rehome the plant and get some plants that fit your particular tank environment.

B

The plant I want seems to only be found online. It's not expensive on its own but the websites either have a minimum amount you have to spend in order for them to ship it to you or an insanely high shipping cost.
I'm not looking to add C02 injections to my aquarium.

I’ve never had it (so grain of salt) but I actually remember seeing it on a list of low light plants once. I remember because it was on my mental list to try out but I never did.

My suspicion is that it would need the higher light and co2 to actually carpet. In low light things tend to grow vertical instead of horizontal.

If you decide to keep it let me know how it does in the low light! I’m always on the look out for new plants that will tolerate the lower light low tech set ups I prefer!

I might put a bit in my 55g, it has higher lighting. Still no c02 but all my other plants are doing great.

I'd be more excited if it wasn't a $15 plant. Those 1,2 grow cups are overpriced.

I had to move the plant to the 55g. They kept uprooting themselves because play sand sucks. 0/10 do not reccomend, use pool filter sand instead.

Upside: they look nice in the 55g even if it doesn't carpet
(Will attach pic later)
Downside: the playsand makes a mess every time I do any plant related maintenance, the scape looks nothing like I wanted it to and I just want to start over but rocks are crazy expensive and it's too cold to go out and collect my own.
The plan: keep it for a few months and see if it grows on me. If not then it'll be warmer out. I don't have any fish in there so it's not a big deal if I change things.

See if this works

Back
Top Bottom