Mix Max CO2 Reactor - Bio Balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you add bio balls to the mix max CO2 Reactor without any negative side effects? Mine is currently inside my tank being run by a circulation pump. Wouldn't this add more bio filtration? Or does the bacteria not like CO2?

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

Just curious, why would you want to add bio balls to your reactor? Bacteria is opportunistic. Assuming you have enough media in your filter(s) already, It will grow in regards to the food available for it.

Thus the reason you add fish slowly to a tank, as opposed to doubling the bio-load immediately.

I don't mean to sound like a smart a**, I am just seeking to understand. This hobby like others is constantly evolving.

I just bought a Mix Max and seems to work well, but is missing hose clamps. I popped a hose while inverting it to remove the air, and made a bit of a mess.

I've seen reactors with media in them. Not so much for biological filtration but rather for increased surface area to promote absorption of whatever is being injected (CO2, O2).
In this case, not sure how well it would work for biological filtration. Then again, many folks allow CO2 to enter HOB and canister filters with no ill effects (that I know of) where it flows through the biomedia.
You could try it but it may be difficult to see if helps. The population of BB is relative to the amount of nitrogenous waste and O2. Unless there is an ammonia increase, the BB population has no need change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The reason I was curious because with my fish plan, aqadvisor says I need more filtration. So instead of buying something like an in-tank filter, I thought, why not add bio balls to the Mix Max? Would this work?

The reason I was curious because with my fish plan, aqadvisor says I need more filtration. So instead of buying something like an in-tank filter, I thought, why not add bio balls to the Mix Max? Would this work?

Will this address the filtration needs adequately? Hard to say. What filter do you currently have?
You may want to consider running a second filter if you currently are under the suggested rate with just one. That way, in case one stops working, the other one should keep things in order until you get a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In theory it could work, But i do not know how much it will reduce the flow through the cylinder.

What filter are you attaching the iata to?

Well I have it in the tank attached to a circulation pump inside the tank. It's not attached to my canister at all

Back
Top Bottom