mixing plant and fish water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I use the same container I use to water my plants for my fish water? I found a really nice container, it holds 6 gallons, and looks like a narrow gas can (the red plastic type)--including the nozzle to pour. I use a very weak fertilizer mixture to water the plants. Will the fertilizer hurt or poison the fish?

Shawmutt- I wouldn't- plant fert is probably not great for fish, and may lead to water chemistry issues- and maybe even cause an algae problem.
Kristen

I always water my plants with the used tank water when I do a water change.I always figured it was like natural fertilizer.My plants love it.

My goldfish tank is 6.6.Not on purpose.I just couldn't get the pH to go up,so I decided to leave it alone,since the fishes didn't seem to mind.My plants don't seem to mind either.

hmmm...maybe I'll try it, it would make me feel better about all those gallons of water I dump down the toilet every two weeks. Thanks!

Shawmutt, I may have misunderstood... I interpreted what you wrote as you wanted to use the pitcher you use to fertilize and water your plants to add water to your tank- I still wouldn't do that, but if your question is can you use tank water to water plants, the answer is a qualified yes- I've done that many times myself- but it helps if your water chem is stable, and you don't use a lot of extra chemicals/medications, because some can screw up the plants.
Kristen

No, no...sorry :oops: I have a habit of digressing in forums...
I interpreted what you wrote as you wanted to use the pitcher you use to fertilize and water your plants to add water to your tank
This was my original question.

Do not use the same container. Plant fertilizer is TERRIBLE for a tank and causes major algae blooms. You can use tank water to water plants (sometimes you get a little odor, but if you can tolerate it, go for it) but do not mix plant fertilizer in your tank containers.

You know if you think your pH may ba too low,you can add a bit (teeny bit)of baking soda to your water before you give it to the plants.Won't hurt'em,and will raise the pH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom