Mixing substrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a 10 gal tank and recently got some Flourite Black for my birthday. The amount of substrate isn't enough for what I would like to do and I need some more. I didn't really want to use Flourite Black, but I do not want to dishonor the gift by returning it. I want to even it out and mix it with a substrate that I would rather use.

I want to mix the flourite black with either regular Flourite or with some Eco Complete. Has anyone had experience with doing something like that? I'd really appriciate your two cents.

dont like the color? some people layer the substrate. it sure wont hurt anything though the out come might be less then desirable.

The few times that I've mixed substrates in the past, I've never ended up as happy as when I just used the substrate that I really wanted in the first place. I'd go ahead and trade in the gifted substrate for the one that you really want. I don't think that it really dishonors the gift in any way, since you would be trading it towards another substrate that you would be using.

Yeah I second Joy's opinion about the gift. I think they would be offended if you trade it in and didn't buy a replacement. I don't see why they would be upset if you just exchanged it. Its YOUR tank, its what YOU like, and YOU are the one going to be staring at it for years. :)

I was thinking about mixing my Pebble Beach substrate (pea to nickel sized gravel) with some of my left over play sand. I might try it in my QT tank first to see what it looks like. I'm afraid if I swap it in the 30g long I won't like it and have to switch it back.

i had a pea gravel mixed it with eco-complete. over the past year the malaysian trumpet snails have been stirring up my substrate for me and what has happened is that all of the pea gravel is now the top layer with the eco underneath it.
i personally always accept gifts thankfully and without complaint and try to honor (so to speak) the gift as intended but in a case like this i would just explain that it wasn't quite the right substrate you wanted to use so you had to exchange it for the other. they still got you the substrate and it was still their money so same gift in my opinion. if they were considerate enough to get you the substrate in the first place they would probably rather you go get the correct substrate you need/want so that you're happy with the item.

Just my humble opinion

Good point about the settling of the substrate. I still might give it a try in my QT since I have nothing in it now. I have a feeling the sand will just fall through the gravel and I'll just have gravel on top of sand.

I was thinking of mixing substrate too. If you decide to do it then make sure you post some pictures if you can. I would love to see what it looks like.

I use regular flourite and sand, most is mixed w a inch or so of a sand cap on top.

Plant growth, slowed down opposed to using just sand, Alot of folks mix it with no bad results.

Back
Top Bottom