Mixing Vals and Sags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jestes

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got an unusual question. Is there a problem mixing Vals and Sags? I've been keeping a pretty close eye on all of my plants, and the Sags aren't taking off at all. The Vals on the other hand, are sending runners like crazy. I'm going to have to prune them before long.

I've read that vals and sags can have an allelopathy between them that causes one of them to basically remain stagnant, while the other flourishes. I've checked, and all the plants that are flourishing are Vals. The edges of the leaves feel like a saw, which is the only sure fire way I know of to double check. The Sags aren't dying, but they aren't sending any runners or getting bigger. I pulled up one, and it had nice white roots. Has anyone heard of this before?

Never grew sags before but vals are like weeds. If they are in water they'll grow like crazy. My 10g gets trimmed about twice a week just to keep them from coiling at the water surface.

i have never had a problem. just make sure the vals dont cover the sags and all should be good.

Yeah, there's no shade over the sags. I know they don't do well in large gravel, but I've got substrate that's designed for plants. I've got 2wpg over a 24 in tall 55 gallon. I'm starting to wonder if the tank is too deep for only 2wpg.

sags can grow in low light. i have some from a friend who had 4x65w over a 180.... then two of the bulbs burned out and still they grew.

Back
Top Bottom