Mollies keep eating my guppy grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have bought guppy grass twice to plant in my tank and both times the mollies have eaten it. They used to eat the duckweed. I could not keep it. They would eat it faster than then it could grow. I switched over to water lettuce for a floater and they don't eat that. I really want some guppy grass in my tank. I am about to get some more and put a "fence" around it until it has time to really grow. I wonder it they would still be able to kill it if I did that and gave it a chance to get to a decent size? I still have some in my 10 gallon. The snails never bother it. Are their any other plants that resemble guppy grass that the mollies might not like?

I have amazon swords, ludwigia, moneywort, pennywort, dwarf sag, anarchist, and christmas moss and they do not eat that. THey do eat the algae though which I don't mind. I feed them algae wafers too. Looks like that would be enough for them.

Yeah, plants with thicker leaves are usually left alone, because they are harder to eat, I guess.

One way I've dealt with fish eating plants is by adding a few cooked, deshelled peas to their daily diet. You can feed them at the end of their normal meal, which is what I do, or you can feed them a little while after their main meal. Make use you smush them lightly before dropping them in the tank. Start by dropping in one pea at a time to see if they are going to eat them right away or if it's going to take awhile. All my fish have learned to like them and by adding daily greens into the tank they tend to leave the plants alone. I also add 2- 1/4" blanched strips of zucchini on veggie clips every other day so the fish have something to pick at all day long.

Back
Top Bottom