Monte Carlo Melting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatecture

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys,

Need help! I recently added 25 neon tetras in my tank and after a week or 2 some of my monte carlos turned brown. I don't know whats causing my monte carlo to turn brown and melt? So far all I did was to put in some fish and before Introduced my fishes to the tank filled with healthy monte carlo, I made sure that my water is in good condition. Please anyone help! I've attached some pictures of my test before I put in my fishes.

Before putting tetras

IMG_7611.jpg
IMG_7558.jpg

After with tetras
IMG_8163.jpgIMG_8164.jpg

Should I take the tetras out of my tank? Anyone help please? Hoping it's not yet too late before My tank gets wiped out!

The fish would not be the cause of your Monte Carlo melting, maybe a plant guru can give you more information on cause. I'm just a guy with plants in my tank, plant them, fertilize them and hope they live. Lol

What light do you have, what tank size (especially depth), and do you add fertilizer? You have some kind of deficiency I believe.

0 nitrates is your problem, the monte is starving to death. U want to keep it around 20ppm [emoji106]

Pressurized Co2 would still be the same ever since tank setup.

I'd say your substrate has ran out of nutrients so you will now have to dose the water column. Best way to do it is PPS pro or EI dosing. You can buy the kits from nilcoG or you can buy all the dry salts seperate and mix your own.

I quick google search will give u all the info u need on EI or PPS pro dosing [emoji106]

You really need to strike a balance between lights, CO2, and fertilizers. Else, you may get growth deficiencies, algae, or both.
Dry salts (or fertilizers) are often recommended because of their effectiveness, ease of use, and cost (low). There are two primary types: Estimative Index (EI) and Perpetual Preservation System (PPS). More info on these can be found at Green Leaf Aquatics and NilocG. Basically, you mix the fertilizers with water and dose daily as instructed. It is designed to provide more fertilizers than the plants need so there is no deficiency. I like PPS-Pro (from GLA).
There are several liquid based fertilizers; I would recommend a combination of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone. I used that for about a year before switching to PPS-Pro.
I remember this tank. You started this at the beginning of the year. Some sick, sick MC growth you got there! Very impressive.

Thanks, bert and Fresh! Approximately, how long before it gets wiped out ? I may need more time before I can get fertilizers! So there's a chance it may spread? I'm looking at it right now and it's spreading started with just a small patch. Yikes!

Fresh! Yup it started with so little mc's and now it grew by the dozen. I tried making them spread instead of buying another batch of mc. It's expensive here just buying a sq foot of mc patch.

Thanks, bert and Fresh! Approximately, how long before it gets wiped out ? I may need more time before I can get fertilizers! So there's a chance it may spread? I'm looking at it right now and it's spreading started with just a small patch. Yikes!

Fresh! Yup it started with so little mc's and now it grew by the dozen. I tried making them spread instead of buying another batch of mc. It's expensive here just buying a sq foot of mc patch.

You can dim your lighting to reduce uptake of nutrients. This might help it spreading so fast. Or if u have a fish store near buy go and get some flourish by seachem and dose to recommended untill you can get your dry ferts sorted out [emoji106]

You can dim your lighting to reduce uptake of nutrients. This might help it spreading so fast. Or if u have a fish store near buy go and get some flourish by seachem and dose to recommended untill you can get your dry ferts sorted out [emoji106]
If nitrates are two low look at flourish nitrogen as flourish has no macros.

I like Ultum Natures ferts personally, although the thrive series is also good. Those are macros with micros keeping things simple.

Back
Top Bottom