Month in to fishless cycling, can I use TSSplus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabear

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm in the process of starting my first planted tank and I have been cycling it for exactly 4 weeks now.
The ammonia levels drop pretty quick after I add the ammonia (less than 24 hours I'd say) but the nitrite levels are still very high (vibrant purple, probably 5ppm). There was two days recently where the nitrite levels were at 0 and I got excited to add fish, did a 90% water change, then the levels shot up again.
So now I'm back on the cycle of adding ammonia and also doing 25 - 50% water changes daily.
The Nitrite levels haven't really decreased though. When I first add the drops it will look like 0ppm, but after I wait it goes to the purple (which is the only improvement I've noticed).

So I bought a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus yesterday because it seemed like it might speed up the process. It says to add the whole bottle up to 100gal tank and then it'll be ready for fish.
Is this a good or bad idea?
Or is there anything else I could be doing to help the process at this point?

Thanks!!!

Tank Info:
20 gallong long tank
Freshwater
Medium light (4 - 13watt CFLs)
4 - 5 different plants (growing quite well)
AquaClear Fluval 50 (with seeded material from a friends tank)
Temp. 82degrees F
Also put in some airstone bubbles to hopefully speed up the process as well

Hi seabear:

It sounds like you're doing everything right. The consistent drop in ammonia and the presence of nitrite means that at least some of the nitrifying bacteria are established. Are you getting any nitrate readings at all? Your water temp and aeration are all good for fostering the growth of the bacteria. Four weeks is actually a pretty good time for reaching this stage of your cycle.

At this point, since you're in a fishless cycle, I would hold off on the water changes until you notice a drop (even a slight one) in the nitrite and begin to see some nitrates. Your cycle is getting there, and sometimes it takes longer for the "nitrite-eating" bacteria to establish at a sufficient, stable level. When you see a consist nitrite-drop/nitrate-rise, it'll be time to resume water changes to lower the nitrate.

It's probably not necessary to add the SafeStart; I think you have enough bacteria in the tank. If you do decide to add fish, though, you'll definitely want to use the SafeStart, as well as some Seachem Prime to protect the fish from nitrite poisoning until the cycle is complete.

Hang in there -- you're doing this the right way!

-Yorg

Hello, I'm in the process of starting my first planted tank and I have been cycling it for exactly 4 weeks now.
The ammonia levels drop pretty quick after I add the ammonia (less than 24 hours I'd say) but the nitrite levels are still very high (vibrant purple, probably 5ppm). There was two days recently where the nitrite levels were at 0 and I got excited to add fish, did a 90% water change, then the levels shot up again.
So now I'm back on the cycle of adding ammonia and also doing 25 - 50% water changes daily.
The Nitrite levels haven't really decreased though. When I first add the drops it will look like 0ppm, but after I wait it goes to the purple (which is the only improvement I've noticed).

So I bought a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus yesterday because it seemed like it might speed up the process. It says to add the whole bottle up to 100gal tank and then it'll be ready for fish.
Is this a good or bad idea?
Or is there anything else I could be doing to help the process at this point?

Thanks!!!

Tank Info:
20 gallong long tank
Freshwater
Medium light (4 - 13watt CFLs)
4 - 5 different plants (growing quite well)
AquaClear Fluval 50 (with seeded material from a friends tank)
Temp. 82degrees F
Also put in some airstone bubbles to hopefully speed up the process as well

Okay thanks, well that's good to know. My nitrates are moderate. Not sky high, but I'd say 30ppm. All the readings are pretty good except the nitrItes really.
But I will keep dosing the ammonia up to 4ppm each day and see how the nitrites do.
I noticed that after I add the ammonia in the morning that by the time I check it again the next morning the reading is under 1ppm... is this bad for the bacteria? Could it be killing them off?

I noticed that after I add the ammonia in the morning that by the time I check it again the next morning the reading is under 1ppm... is this bad for the bacteria? Could it be killing them off?

Nope, that's a good sign. Here's what I'd suggest: don't dose any more ammonia. Those bacteria are doing well. They can not have food for a couple days and they'll be just fine. You've probably got much more than 5 ppm nitrite if you're dosing 4 ppm ammonia every couple of days. Let the nitrite-eating bacteria work on it for a few days. Then check your nitrites and nitrates. At this point, nitrite should be zero (or at least much lower) and you'll have a ton of nitrate. When you get zero nitrite, dose 2 ppm ammonia. If ammonia and nitrites are zero after 24 hrs, do a 90% water change and start adding fish.

Good luck!

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Back
Top Bottom