More CO2 with lower Ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teonas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have a question about CO2 and acidity. Acording to the famous Tillmanns table of Ph and Hardness I can see how much CO2 is in the water. When you add CO2 the acidity rises (Ph does down), that is as far I can understand it....
But what if I lower Ph by adding some acid or peat extract? And then keep adding it to stabilize the new Ph? Does it mean that I´ll get more CO2 from air into the water (higher concentration according to the table)? More CO2 means better plant growth......
Am I right or did I understand this CO2 and Ph wrong? :confused:
Thank you.

P.S.: My tap water has hardness 10 and Ph 6.9....with peat extract it should be less.

As I understand it you will not be adding more co2, you will be making your water less hard. Maybe from 10 to 9. Then you would have to go back to the table and and see how much co2 is in the water with a kh 9 and ph 6.9 it will be less than with a kh of 10 and a ph of 6.9 unless Iam mistaken.

As I understand it you will not be adding more co2, you will be making your water less hard. Maybe from 10 to 9. Then you would have to go back to the table and and see how much co2 is in the water with a kh 9 and ph 6.9 it will be less than with a kh of 10 and a ph of 6.9 unless Iam mistaken.

Well, I don´t know, but peat should only lower Ph by adding more acid into the water. I don´t think that it would lower hardness, but if it did, then it would really mean less CO2....and that would be worse than doing nothing.
But peat or acid shouldn´t lower hardness....

Back
Top Bottom