More DIY CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm going to do the DIY CO2 for my 18 gallon planted tank. I've ordered silicone airline tubing from Fosters & Smith, should be here in a week. I've also working on drinking the BIG jug of gatorade (124oz jug).

I plan on using the 124 oz jug as a reactor. I went with the larger reactor so I could have more water to start in order to keep the concentration of alcohal low for a longer period of time. I'd like a longer, slower reaction with less CO2 per minute than a faster, shorter reaction creating more CO2 per minuite. I'm looking for 1 bps, hopefully lasting 2+ weeks.

I plan on using a small gatorade bottle or glass jar as a seperator/bubble counter and then running the airline into the intake strainer of my filter (fluval 206). I've heard varying opinions on using a diffuser vs directly into the canister and I'm strongly leaing toward the canister method. Check valve to go on the airline between generator & seperator.

I've decided that I'm not going to try and increase surface agitation during non photoperiods to combat pH drops, I have plenty of surface agitation currently with the 206 and a penguin 150 on the tank (surface area of 20" x 10").

Comments? Tips? Suggestions? Cautions?

Hi. I used diy c02 for 6 months and had minor results no matter what I tried. The best I got was 2 large bottles into a bottle bubble counter and I changed the mix in each bottle fortnightly but alternating weekly if that makes sense haha.

However. If its a cost thing why you cant use injected co2 i would save save save and save and get injected c02 growth and colour of plants are far better.

I am still a relative novice however I have tried diy and would only use is tempararily.

Sorry to pee on your bomfire a bit.

Hi. I used diy c02 for 6 months and had minor results no matter what I tried. The best I got was 2 large bottles into a bottle bubble counter and I changed the mix in each bottle fortnightly but alternating weekly if that makes sense haha.

However. If its a cost thing why you cant use injected co2 i would save save save and save and get injected c02 growth and colour of plants are far better.

I am still a relative novice however I have tried diy and would only use is tempararily.

Sorry to pee on your bomfire a bit.

CO2 injection really isn't an option. Its not a matter of not having the funds, its a matter of priority. As it is only an 18 gallon tank I'm optimistic that I will notice a difference with DIY.

I saw the article on DIY in-line diffuser for a canister filter. I've got a bunch of bioballs and pvc laying around. I think I might need to spend $8 on some bushings, new pvc cement, and a brass hose barb and I'd have a nice diffuser, so I'm going to go with that.

I do have a question that pertains to connecting corrugated fluval hoses to standard hose barbs. Can it be done?

Honestly, for diffuser buy a 5 dollar nano ceramic diffuser and get it there, don't run bubble counter go straight from bottle to build enough pressure, you'll see te difference with that. Also a good mixture for long lasting (works for me) 1/4 teaspoon yeast, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
Make sure you activate the yeast VERY well before you put it all in a bottle with Tons of water cause then it'll take forever to start. I use a 1 L bottle soda stream that is hard plastic so the pressure that builds up goes through the ceramic diffuser, and I use that 1 L mixture for a 29 gal and it lasts me over 2 weeks. I get it a little yellow (the indicator) for the first week cause its too much but the the remaining of the mixture stays steady green. Also make sure you get NO leaks at all that'll ruin the while thing. I have one of those hose connectors so I can disconnect the bottle separately for when I make the mixture so when I twist my cap I don't break the silicone seal I put before. Good luck man!

Back
Top Bottom