More Gratuitous Shots of Weird Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I got some more weird ones and was playing with my camera and had to show them off. We need some sort of "Weird/Oddball Plant" sticky but I'm not sure about starting one yet because guys like Toirtis and Fruitbat would probably put us all to shame :p

This first plant, Sagittaria weatherbiana, really reminds me of a typical Sagittaria subulata except it is almost a foot in diameter. I'm waiting for it to propagate - hope, hope.

Sagittaria_weatherbiana_081105_x800.jpg

The next shot is the right side of my tank where I'm cultivating a green bushy-cat-tailed planted called Myriophyllum hippuroides (can you tell which one I'm talking about? :p ) Also in the photo to the top right you can see my favorite Java fern, an extremely robust specimen of Microsorum pteropus "Narrow-leaf" that is showing what a Java fern will do when placed within inches of some seriously bright light - they just love it :) Just to the left of it you can see what Pogostemon stellata "Broad-leaf" does when it gets close to the light - it turns a deep magenta-purple color - so cool but I can't get it to do so unless it is almost at the top of tank. Dang.

Right_Side_081105_x800.jpg

Well I hope I haven't wasted too much of your bandwidth. I've got some more to share but my camera batteries are dead :(

Awesome as always. Sneak peak of downoi carpet is cool :) Is that still Bacopa myriophylloides just left-front of the P. stellata "broad leaf?" Is that A. nana petite all over the rock in pic 1? Charge your camera -- I am trying to live vicariously through you, dammit. :p

I have some regular AA's from my good friends at Duracell so I can skip the re-charging phase and cap some pics of the B. myriophylloides. BTW my plant sensei told me that I couldn't possibly keep B. myriophylloides in an ARLC tank and that is was the most fragile of the Bacopa species. BWAHAHAHA, it loves my hard water!!! Next!!! Pics to follow Joe :wink:

Here's an up-to-the-minute photo of the "supposedly" impossible to grow sp. of B. myriophllyoides:

Bacopa_myriophylloides_081105_x800.jpg

It seems to be driving toward the light and branching profusely. BWAHAHAHA!

And to answer your question about the rock with Anubias barteri v. Nana "Petite", yes, here's a sort of crappy close-up. It's a piece of very holey lace rock that I've been shoving little plantlets of A. barteri Nana "Petite" into as they propagate. I would love for it to look like a rock wall covered with ivy but it's taking a loooooong time to do it. And I'm not sure I'm doing it well. If you want some more rare plant sightings you can see some Mayaca sellowiana (the whitish-tipped very cool tufted stuff in front of the rock) and also a female Ps. demasoni female with a mouthful of eggs on the right side of the pic. OK, I'm done babbling :p

Ivy_Rock_081105_x800.jpg

Hara - the pretty red plant is Pogostemon stellata "Broad-leaf" which is still hard to come by, but as Joe can attest, is not that hard to grow as long as you have high-light and some CO2. It is one of my favorites :)

Sweeeeet. I have read that A. barteri v nana "petite" (thanks for correct name) grows faster emersed. Have you thought of putting a couple in a windowsill project to propogate, sensei?

travis simonson said:
Jchillin said:
my tank is going in the trash as soon as I finish this post. :mrgreen:

And I was just packing up my latest plant shipment to all the advisors. Should I send yours to Rich then? :p

I dont want to steal Jc's but you could send a little my way. :D

travis,

why must you torture me so?????? every time i feel like my tank is shaping up nicely, you go posting new photos, and dash my hopes (opens oven, sticks head in...)

now i'm really looking forward to that package!

your tank is awesomely beautiful, and if i ever hear you say you lack creativity, i will personally come out to colorado and beat you about the head and neck with a bristlenose pleco!

Travis.....

The plants look to be in magnificent condition and the tank is exquisite.....excellent job!

Now all you need to do is post pictures of your Cryptocoryne specimens just to make an old codger like me happy! :lol:

-Joe (the 'other' one)

I'd like to see pictures of your crypts too, Travis. I thought you didn't have any because your tank is high light.

crazycat said:
your tank is awesomely beautiful, and if i ever hear you say you lack creativity, i will personally come out to colorado and beat you about the head and neck with a bristlenose pleco!

:lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom