More lighting, need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
On my 75 gal discus tank I have currently got 60 watts of light, I purchased a 55 watt light strip from a fellow aquarist. Here is a link to the light I got. That would be 115 watts on the tank. I'm hoping to not have to worry about CO2 yet. What potential problems should I be on the lookout for? I assume algae will be my biggest problem. I am dosing KNO3 and CSM-B in the tank. Keep in mind this is a discus tank and I do 2 water changes a week, one 50% and one 25%. Any advice will be appreciated.

Basically you'll need to keep a look out for two things. The plants will probably start burning through nutrients faster, so you'll need to keep an eye on them and increase dosing if they look like they're going to bottom out. The other would be the appearance of algae. I suspect that your lighting is going to put you at the low end of where you might need CO2 instead of it being optional. As long as you keep everything else in balance my hunch is that you'll be okay without it.

Good to know, I will try it and if I need dosing adjustments I'll be hollering, ask Bill how hopeless I am with dosing calculations. :). I have been reading up on CO2 and it doesn't seem as scary to set up now that I have done some research, next I will research the costs involved in where I live for refills etc. Being in the car business and having contracts with different welding companies should help me out there. I may decide to upgrade to CO2 in the next few months. I thought fish keeping was addicting! Now plants are becoming addicting to me!

Thanks Rich, a warning on the addictive nature of plants would have been good LOL. I have another batch of plants coming from a local aquarium society buddy Mon. Geez, I hope plants don't become like tanks to me! :p

Back
Top Bottom