Moss+Agar in food processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone tried this?

I saw a reference to the process online ... Chop it up and then spread it where you want it ... Sounds too good to be true?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Are you talking about land growing moss or a water type? You can mix moss and buttermilk together in a blender or processor than paint it on rocks or flower pots in the garden and it will grow moss. Gardeners will do that to age the clay or cement pots or start a moss garden on rocks. Alison

I have a friend who does this for all of his dry starts, although he doesn't use agar. Works very well for him.

Tell me more? :)

For any sort of aquatic moss (in a dry start) you can just blend them up with a little water into small pieces and kinda paint them onto whatever surface you want them to attach to. It helps if the surface you are using is porous or a little rough. My friend said it usually only takes 2-3 weeks for moss to attach and start growing in his dry starts. This is of course in a high humidity environment (Saran wrap will help with this) and lots of light.

That's amazing.

Finally, a use for these rocks I got at Petsmart that I now love to hate because they attract algae and they are too rough for the Otos to clean.

Gonna try it in a container in a window.

I take it you chop it up pretty well but not to a liquid point?

Mist with tank water to feed? Or are they pretty self sufficient for awhile.

That's amazing.

Finally, a use for these rocks I got at Petsmart that I now love to hate because they attract algae and they are too rough for the Otos to clean.

Gonna try it in a container in a window.

I take it you chop it up pretty well but not to a liquid point?

Mist with tank water to feed? Or are they pretty self sufficient for awhile.

Yeah you can just use a knife to mince it up, kinda like you're mincing herbs or garlic when you cook. My dry starts/emersed tanks I've had to mist pretty frequently because it's so hot where I am (Hawaii, tropical weather). But you could probably get away with misting once every day or two no problem in dry climates. Saran Wrap with some holes poked in it (for gas exchange) will help keep the moisture in. On TPT just do a forum search for phrases like moss dry start or moss DSM and you'll find some great build threads with people who did this method with great success.

Thank you! I was searching and searching every phrase I could think of and ended up down a "moss graffiti" rabbit hole.

I have too much Java moss on hand, I'd be eager to try it with something else. Of course the Java is a harmless first experiment.

Yeah Java is an easy first experiment! After Java you could look into Christmas, peacock, Taiwan, etc. Does The Wet Spot have a nice selection of plants too? Really have to visit next time I'm in Portland.

Yeah Java is an easy first experiment! After Java you could look into Christmas, peacock, Taiwan, etc. Does The Wet Spot have a nice selection of plants too? Really have to visit next time I'm in Portland.

Waaaaaay too good a selection. Today I think I saw Christmas, flame, and 2 others besides Java.

I'm thinking about putting puddles of chopped up moss on a single layer of ADA Substrate, since it's pretty rough. Fill the bottom of a Tupperware with puddles and see what happens if it'll bind together. (And The Wet Spot sells Amazonia by the pound, no minimum).

Awesome. I've had mosses grow on Amazonia in my emersed set ups. They'll grow very erect as they reach up toward the light.

Back
Top Bottom