Moss and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
All,

Looking to add some moss to my tank so I'm starting my research. I'm noticing that a lot of the pics/vids/posts have moss sharing space with shrimp. Is there a relationship between the two that I'm missing? If I get get some moss growing in my tank do I *need* shrimp in there to keep it clean or something?

-John

I've noticed that, too, and I suspect the answer is that moss is good at trapping little bits of food that the shrimp can eat.

You're right- it is because it traps the food for the shrimp. You don't have to have them together but most people who have shrimp have moss because they really like it. Plus shrimp thrive in planted tanks

Works the same for fry too. :) they just love moss

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine love to pick through Moss to find bits of food.

Moss Balls are an easy way to try Moss in your tank. It's an Algae, but similar idea to Mosses.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423695899.525317.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423695928.611622.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My RCS love moss, because they can pick bits of food out of it and hide in it. I have java moss in my tanks.

Sent from my iPhone

My CPDs seem to love the moss. When spawning they swim into it to lay eggs. They are often sparring around the moss areas as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom