Moss as an accent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeadFish83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a roman column center piece that I am wanting to cover in moss to make it look more aged... What would be a good moss to cover this with? Want them to still look like columns, but be partially or totally covered. I have black sand as substrate...

My concept for my new tank is to have one side all live plants and the other side the roman columns.

Columns remind me too much of jail bars... Lol. I say fissidens fontanus (check spelling) would achieve the look your after quite well.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just looked that up, spelled correctly by the way, and it looks a little "hairy" to me... Is that the shortest haired moss there is, like whats on a moss ball? Maybe moss isnt what I am looking for...

Moss can stay as compact as youd like. Just trim as it grows. But you might look at micro fissidens.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How hard is it to grow or expand itself onto something? I would attach the first part with fishing line so it wont come off...

Will moss branch out on its own from a starter patch?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome... Now I just have to build the stand to put the tank on!

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard of folks taking rather sizeable moss balls, cutting them up and spreading them over rocks. They do not grow fast so not sure how practical this approach would be.
Moss have varied growth rates and patterns; some spread laterally, some grow upward, and some "droop" or "weep". Some have tiny leaves and others have "needles".
I thought Java moss would look good as a moss wall but it grew sideways and inconsistently.

I took apart a marimo ball and glued it to cholla. It's all brown now :( I should've used string, I think.

May have to rethink the mossy look... Kind of wanted the moss jungle look on the columns but don't think I can achieve what I want...

Back
Top Bottom