moss ball care/help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freak45

Aquarium Advice Regular
soo my gf went to petsmart today and surprised me with a moss ball and some other stuff ..anyways i'm curious as to what type of ball is this? is it java moss ball or something else and how do you care for it? is it suppose to be tied to a rock and string lol..oh yea the fake sea animona is her idea sigh :banghead:

A moss ball is, in essence, a clump of algae.

All you need to do is throw it in your tank wherever you fancy and it'll do swimmingly on its own.

Obviously, being algae means that it will grow when provided with a sufficient light source and will die off when not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anyone have a recommendation on how to make a ball with some of my own? I have one that seems to be wrapped around something to give it the good round look.
Thanks!

Roll it between your palms periodically like you are rolling playdoh into a ball. You will know when it's time to give it a roll because it will start to look clumpy and sad.

I know this sounds crazy but a great trick to revamp and revive a moss ball is to rinse it through with CLUB SODA!!! I was told this by a real fish guy and it totally seems to work... run it through with water of course before putting it back in your tank but it should float again for a while till it gets water logged and if there's any cloudiness to the tank whatsoever it should suck some of that up like it is originally supposed to... Hope it works for you!

Are we sure this is even a marimo (or what ever it is) ball? To me it looks more like java moss attached to something, instead of the marimo algae balls

Are we sure this is even a marimo (or what ever it is) ball? To me it looks more like java moss attached to something, instead of the marimo algae balls

+1 ...yes, looks like java moss wrapped around a styrofoam ball. I suppose you could make these with a styrofoam ball from a craft store, fishing line to tie the moss down, and to tether it to the bottom.
If this is the case then treat it like you would for moss.

Either way, it will be pretty hard to kill , so you won't have to worry a ton about caring for it. :)

That is NOT Japanese Marimo moss ball. Its a floating Styrofoam ball wrapped in java moss or flame moss. They sell those at PetSmart. They are undemanding and easier to care for than Marino moss balls.

Basically all you have to do is keep it under a plain vanilla light source and it will grow. Its a low light plant (slow growing) so don't use too long a photoperiod (try to keep it under 8 or 9 hours a day). This will prevent algae from growing on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom