Moss balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xfactor6699 said:
Do moss balls grow

My Morimo ball is easily twice as big than when I bought it about 3 months ago. I'll probably pull it apart during my next pwc and make it 2 little moss balls :)

Mr. Limpet said:
They do, but if you have goldfish they get shredded into a million pieces lol.

For some odd reason...my Bolivian likes to swim over and grab a mouthful once in a while. My girl yells at him, lol. I swear she loves that moss ball like it was one of the fish.

would anyone want to trade something for a moss ball ive had mine a few months under 4100k lights 15w cfl surivin not thriving plus im tryin to turn my tank to a planted

would anyone want to trade something for a moss ball ive had mine a few months under 4100k lights 15w cfl surivin not thriving plus im tryin to turn my tank to a planted

If you moss ball isn't doing good, you'll need to look at your overall system and figure out what's up. I have moss balls in 3 FW tanks and other than the softball one that's now tied up in netting about the size of a golf ball in my goldie tank, they all do good/grow (even that one, sorta lol).

15w/4100K in a 10g? Is the bulb centered or off to one side in the hood?

Do you dose any ferts/root tabs?

it's a standard dual screw in hood and one side has a 13w 3700k cfl and other 4100k 15w cfl moss is on the 41k side dont dose anything i also have an anubias on that side wich is doing wonderful produced little leaflets dont dose any ferts the reason i think it's doing bad is because it lost its lush green color and turned a faded green my photo period is 8 hrs

When they get big ur saying that u can tear them in half and make 2

eco23 said:
You've just gotta take em out and roll them in your hands once in a while to get em back into shape.

well that's easy i may make mine into two do you squeeze yours out as well every so often?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
well that's easy i may make mine into two do you squeeze yours out as well every so often?

This is going to sound inappropriate...lol. My wife likes to take them out and roll them in her hands and play with them a bit and then fluff them up, hahaha. I'm being serious though. Now that we're talking about it...I may have to turn it into 3 of them instead of 2. :)

Will they stop growing when they get a certain size or just keep growing and growing

it's a standard dual screw in hood and one side has a 13w 3700k cfl and other 4100k 15w cfl moss is on the 41k side dont dose anything i also have an anubias on that side wich is doing wonderful produced little leaflets dont dose any ferts the reason i think it's doing bad is because it lost its lush green color and turned a faded green my photo period is 8 hrs

Well one thing to consider is even though the 37 & 4100K bulbs do benefit plants, I'd suggest looking into some 65 or 6700K if the 10-15w range and see if that helps. Also if you have a glass/plastic cover, keeping it clean/clear is important since any build up does cut the amount getting into the tank.

Moss balls are actually listed on plantgeek as a med light plant (algae) for good growth.

PlantGeek.net - Cladophora aegagrophila

Yep, split them in half and kinda ball them up and they'll grow into another ball.

Mr. Limpet said:
Well one thing to consider is even though the 37 & 4100K bulbs do benefit plants, I'd suggest looking into some 65 or 6700K if the 10-15w range and see if that helps. Also if you have a glass/plastic cover, keeping it clean/clear is important since any build up does cut the amount getting into the tank.

Moss balls are actually listed on plantgeek as a med light plant (algae) for good growth.

PlantGeek.net - Cladophora aegagrophila

Yep, split them in half and kinda ball them up and they'll grow into another ball.
its all that was available at the time so i made do im suprized how well anubias is under the 41 very lush green im going to see if i can convince my dad to take me tomorrow to waly world last time i went though 31 was highest kelvin they had

The guy in the back left corner is about 7.5inch diameter.

They get much bigger too..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110604_231601.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110604_231601.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 123
Back
Top Bottom