Moss Balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,

What exactly are the benefit (if any) of moss balls. Does anyone use them?

Thanks,
D

I honestly believe there only purpose really is to basically pick up after the fish poop. Thats according to what someone working at PetsMart told me

I have many in my tanks, from pee wee marble, regular marble on up. My biggest was a baseball /orange size. I still have it but it was smooshed and is now an ornament on my driftwood.

They are a sort of living filter and really cool to look at. Shrimp love them and will clean them, as will snails.

Despite what some say don't squeeze them, or they will fall apart. You can rinse them by swishing them in treated water.

They out compete algae.

....They are algae.

Really, the rate of growth of moss balls is so minimal that they really have no impact on water quality in the long run. Compare to a plant like a hygro in a decently lit tank, the amount of new mass created per week is extremely low.

Basically, people buy them and put them in their tanks because they like the way they look and are a novelty. Biologically speaking, the algae species that they are composed of is pretty unique, as they form that ball naturally, which is pretty nifty too....

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of getting a few small ones and tying them to my Manzanita branch.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of getting a few small ones and tying them to my Manzanita branch.

For some reason, the comment makes me want to make a tree out of driftwood in a tank and hang little moss balls from is like Christmas tree decorations. I don't think that's what you were describing though....

There was a guy selling hunks of mopani driftwood covered in the moss ball algae on Ebay awhile back, but I don't know if he still does. They were pretty expensive because the moss takes forever to grow, so keep that in mind going into your project.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387569083.163887.jpg
That s what I did , cut out squares to fit & then used nylon thread (or fishing line, can t remember which), to sew the seam up the underside.

For some reason, the comment makes me want to make a tree out of driftwood in a tank and hang little moss balls from is like Christmas tree decorations. I don't think that's what you were describing though....

There was a guy selling hunks of mopani driftwood covered in the moss ball algae on Ebay awhile back, but I don't know if he still does. They were pretty expensive because the moss takes forever to grow, so keep that in mind going into your project.

:lol: Spoken like a true aquarist! I'll take a look on Ebay-thanks!

There are absolutely benefits to using moss balls in your aquarium! As stated they out compete the nasty algae, like all rootless plants such as java and Christmas mosses they absorb the nitrate directly from the water as opposed to rooted plants which absorb the nitrates in the substrate. Also, they look very appealing and The shrimp love cleaning them. Just make sure to turn them every few days as parts will turn brown if not rotated.

There are absolutely benefits to using moss balls in your aquarium! As stated they out compete the nasty algae, like all rootless plants such as java and Christmas mosses they absorb the nitrate directly from the water as opposed to rooted plants which absorb the nitrates in the substrate. Also, they look very appealing and The shrimp love cleaning them. Just make sure to turn them every few days as parts will turn brown if not rotated.

Thanks! I've been looking online for a place to buy some, but so far haven't decided on any. Do you have any suggestions? Do you let them simply float free, or are they anchored in some way?
D

Nope just buy one or a few and let them be. They will sink to the bottom. Really just rotate very few days and that's it. They will grow slowly. I've only ever used them in shrimp tanks and the shrimp love grazing on them. However I have heard of people putting them in their cichlid tanks and the fish push them around eventually beating them up pretty good. Anyways, I love them. I suggest picking up a few and enjoying their benefits

Nope just buy one or a few and let them be. They will sink to the bottom. Really just rotate very few days and that's it. They will grow slowly. I've only ever used them in shrimp tanks and the shrimp love grazing on them. However I have heard of people putting them in their cichlid tanks and the fish push them around eventually beating them up pretty good. Anyways, I love them. I suggest picking up a few and enjoying their benefits

Thanks. I found some on Aquaria.com that I think I'll order. I'll take a picture after I get them and post it.

I'm no expert on the efficacy of their waste removal, but I think they are extra cute. I've had these two for a couple of months and yes, they do collect fish poo, but I just squeeze and rinse them once in a water change and they stay cute :) And they are quite unique

Back
Top Bottom