Moving a dirted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my husband and I are talking about moving. I think we just found the perfect house today. Now I am not worried moving the fish. But I just dirted my tank a few months ago and I am worried about the mess. Is there a way to move the tank safely without removing the substrate and plants? The plants roots are massive in just the few months since I planted and I am worried about the dirt mixing with the gravel. Help!

Put the fish in buckets, drain most of the tank, but leave some water, and saran wrap the tank to keep humidity in.

Personally I would drain as much water as I could right before I move it. Any water left on the surface will wreck havoc with the substrate as it sloshes around. I would drain it right before I move it, and get at least some water back in as soon as it's in its new place.

A dirted tank is a pain to move but having done it before I can tell you to remove any plants you can except deep rooters like swords, crypts, and bulb plants. Put the plants in some tank water and drain the tank down as low as you can. Then this is the tricky part... get and use as many people as you can to move the tank BUT you have to keep the tank level the entire time. What can happen if it's tipped this way and that is the dirt and gravel shifting can mix and make a lopsided mess. Then be sure when readding water to lay a plate or bowl down to diffuse the water so you don't mess up the substrate. Slow is the key to doing this.

Back
Top Bottom