Moving driftwood...but leaving algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbieg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have a ten gallon tank with a couple of cory cats, a few anubias, and a piece of driftwood covered in Christmas Moss. I want to move the driftwood to my large tank, but I'm worried about it. One of my anubias seems to have a slight touch of BBA. How would you recommend safely moving the driftwood without contaminating the larger tank with BBA. Just fyi, I fought BBA in the big tank for over a year; and if it gets in there again, I'm going to switch to raising rabbits (something easy).

Thanks a bunch,
Debbie

Do an Excel dip of 1 part Excel to 10 parts water. Then put it in the tank. It should help without killing your plants.

Unless the conditions of your new tank are condusive to BBA, there's nothing to worry about. I'd do an Excel spot treatment or remove the affected leaves, simply because it's unsightly, but nothing beyond that should be necessary. With a few exceptions (hair/thread algae) most algae needs certain conditions to thrive, if your aquarium doesn't have those conditions introducing a plant, etc with algae isn't going to cause an algae outbreak.

Last edited:
Thanks theotheragentm, great advice, but I didn't do the dip. Once I saw your response, I just removed my fish, sucked out most of the water, and doused the entire tank with Excel. It's been three days now, and everything in the tank looks better. I expected at least a mini cycle, but I didn't even get that. Thanks again, I believe I caught this early enough to wipe it out; and I've cut back on the hours of lighting to reduce the chance of it coming back.

Hi Purrbox, I had never thought of algae problems that way you explain it. I guess I think of algae as more of a disease.; but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense. My big tank's in good shape (knock on wood) so any algae left on the driftwood would have just died out anyway. Got my little tank cleaned up, learned something new, and it's Friday...I think I'll fix a little drink and stare at the fishes.

Back
Top Bottom