Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chipchop
Moving from plastic to planted

I am a newbie and am thrilled that after a long ordeal my tank finally seems to be cycling.

My plan was to start with fake plants and move to planted. Any suggestions on starting? After the difficulty I had getting this cycled, I am going to wait till I know everything is kosher. But I am very interested in learning more about what and how to have a planted tank.

Cheers.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
First, research research research. Use the sticky at the top of this forum for great info and ask alot of questions (started this one already..lol).

If I were you, I would buy a light that would get you at or close to 4 wpg, I've heard to go with Compact Fluorescent Lighting Kits or current or coralife or TEK if you can afford it.

Then get yourself some black seachem flourite as substrate. Around 3" deep or so.

Next you need yourself a 5 or 10 lb pressurized CO2cannister w/ a regulator, solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter. YOu also need a reactor, either a DIY or one you can buy.

After that go buy some ferts, there is a good link somewhere around here.

Then get plants, and plant em! Go with higher light plants since they'll enjoy the light and take off. Get that CO2 up to around 30 ppm and then fight algea for a few months until you get the hang of things.

And then...and only after you've done all of this...probably years, possibly decades and maybe never, you can sit back and relax and enjoy your algea-free beatiful planted tank.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
You will find a great deal of info and help here. I started out with a couple of plants and now have 10 planted tanks. Warning it is very addictive.

Definately start with research. Decide if you want high light, med light or low lighted tanks. Then you can start choosing the plants you wish to have in your tanks. Many members here are well versed in dosing ferts as well as how to manage CO2.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks much. I am going to ease into this one. I just bought a book on it.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Which book did you buy? Some have much more current information than others.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Planning is the key IME. Think about your goals, what you want it to look like, find inspiration pictures kind of like you do when you plan a landscape or garden. Read a lot of info on the stickies here and ask questions as the people here are awesome!

Once you know what your overall goal is, what type of fish etc then you can choose appropriate plants and rocks, driftwood etc.

Then don't forget to check out the barter trade section for some low cost quality plants from other members.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought aquariums for dummies. I know I know. But I am sort of a dummy on this. It has a chapter on planted tanks - thought it was pretty useful.

Tags
moving, plant, planted, plastic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com