Moving plants after roots have set.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd8521

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a java fern I would like to move. Its been in the tank for around 4 months. I have crush coral as the substrate. Would there be any issues with moving it (same tank, different location) and disturbing the roots?

Should be no issues at all. You may see a momentary stunt in growth as the plant adjusts to its new location, but other than that, should be good to 'grow" :)

shouldnt have any problem. only ones that tend to be problem are ones with large root system such as crypts and swords.

Another quick question for you guys/gals. A buddy at mine at work gave me the Java Fern because I am a newbie. He said it would grow under very low light. I have a basic AllGlass hood with 20W light.

The Java Fern hasn't grown at all. I'm hoping to move it so the light hits it more. The light is on for about 8-10 hours a day. I have what I think is a Windelov Fern, that has grown, but now has stopped and looks ill. I'm not using any fertilizer or anything for the plants.

Any tips on getting this little things to grow?

I've read that the java ferns are slow growers, but nearly impossible to kill.

How big is your tank? Is your light fluorescent or incandescent? Basic rule of thumb is 2W of fluorescent light per gallon to grow a variety of low-med light plants. It varies based on your tank, etc.. I've had sucess putting CFL bulbs in my old incandescent hood. Don't go crazy with the light or you'll need to run CO2.

Java ferns in the right conditions grow like crazy. They do not need a great deal of light. Depending on your tank size and type of lighting, 20w may or may not be enough.

Also it is common to see a little die off when you move them between tanks. In my experience if conditions are right it takes them a few weeks to a month to get adjusted and settled in before they start growing much.

The tank is a 29g tall. I had my suspicions on the light in the first place. But when most of my aquarium stuff was free, I can't complain. I'm not 100% sure on what type of light it is, but I will most likely say it's an incandescent light.

Yeah that light will be insufficient to grow even low light plants in a 29g tall tank. Tall tanks require even more wattage than a normal tank. If you want to grow live plants I would recommend a lighting upgrade.

Yeah that light will be insufficient to grow even low light plants in a 29g tall tank. Tall tanks require even more wattage than a normal tank. If you want to grow live plants I would recommend a lighting upgrade.

Any specific recommendations on equipment?

Just had the wife check. It is a florescent light. Would I just need a higher output bulb or a new light strip?

You can't put in a higher output fluorescent bulb without upgrading the ballast. <Unless you have a screw in CF with built-in ballast.> Usu. upgrading the light means buying a new fixture. The best bang for the buck would be a Power Compact retrofit kit. Somewhere around 40-50W will give you a solid base for plants, and up to 90W+ if you want to go high tech.

If you want to stick with what you have, Java ferns will be OK. It just will grow VERY slowly. <My Java babies goes from 1/2" to ~2" in 2 years .... and I do have medium light! Yours might be even slower.> You can get a bit more light to the plants by placing it higher in the water, but don't expect miracles with stock lights.

Back
Top Bottom