MTS Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleV87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I put some plants in my tank the other day and see that I have a MTS walking on the substrate.
Should I pull this lil sucker or let him go?
I seem to see a lot of planted tanks with them and lot without. I have read that I would most likely need an assassin snail to keep them in check as well.
But I also read they are more beneficial in a sand substrate and I currently have Eco-complete.
Opinions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

MTS only explode if there's a lot for them to feed on, unlike some other snails who do it just because. I have sand, gravel and Fluval Plant and Shrimp for substrate. Wound up going to the LFS yesterday and getting a handful more. Didn't count how many hehehe But as soon as they were put in, they got digging.

It's up to you what you want in your tank. I like them because they do get under there and keep it tidy, they don't procreate like mad in my tank and it's nice to see one pop up every now and then. I had just one for two weeks and only saw it twice.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446913042.742871.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446913042.742871.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 57
I have them in both my planted tanks. I added them in myself because I wanted something that would aerate the sand and keep things clean. My 6 gallon has maybe 6 or 7 in it and that's still where they are even after months in the tank. My 10g I added 5 in and have a slew of baby MTS but it is also a new setup and has diatoms and other stuff for them to go to town on. Once the 10g is settled and the diatoms die off then the snails will die down as well.

If you have an explosion of them that means you are overfeeding and if you cut back of feeding you'll notice their numbers diminish.

They would be beneficial in any substrate to be honest. They keep stuff aerated and convert what they eat into a plant usable substance (free plant food).

The picture is sideways but that's the biggest one in my 10g. They are awesome little creatures so it is your choice to keep or cull.

Attachments

• 1446914454496.jpg
    1446914454496.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 50
Forgot to mention, but I loathe assassin snails. They'll murder your snail population. Kind of like bees and wasps. If you're in for bees, you can't have wasps. I'm considering keeping one in my plant tank so when I quarantine plants, any pond snail tagalongs... Gruesome.

I would keep it. Really does more good than bad. I like having some in my bigger tank so if my live food culture dies for the puffers, then I have something to keep them going on. Really is up to you though.

Thanks guys. Looks like unless I do him like I usually do all my plants he has a home....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom