MTS Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHBGator

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any fish out there which will keep MTS in check? I have 4 Khuli loaches and 2 Yoyo loaches but my MTS population is getting out of control! they are starting to scrape some of my plant leaves and making them look like someone has made creases in most of the leaves on my red ludwigia. I read somewhere that Dojo (Weather) loaches will keep them in check is this true and if not are there any fish out there that will target them (MTS)?

I wasn't aware that kuhli loaches were capable of killing snails...

Clown loaches are probably the best, though if your tank isn't quite big enough you can go with more yoyo's (mine destroyed even big snails).

Other pretty good options: tiger botias and striated botias

evercl92 said:
I wasn't aware that kuhli loaches were capable of killing snails...

Clown loaches are probably the best, though if your tank isn't quite big enough you can go with more yoyo's (mine destroyed even big snails).

Other pretty good options: tiger botias and striated botias

They arent thats why I asked :)

If the MTS's are breeding rapidly that is a sign that you need to clean the tank better. If there wasn't anything for the snails to eat, they wouldn't be a problem.

I have never seen any signs on my plants left by MTS's.

Interesting as I've never seen mine on my plants ever. Other than getting yourself a "Loachinator" (TM), scooping some out and trading them is a good idea. Also removing as much dead plant matter and/or leftover food will help as well.

I was going to say the same thing, never seen any on my plants.... on my glass and substrate, but not my plants!

Zebra Loaches are considered by many as "Loachinators" (TM), but they don't eat them in my tank. I would start by feeding less.

I have a dwarf puffer fish that killed all of my SML's. Per some forums I've read, they can be very aggressive towards other fish. I haven't had a problem with mine yet.

A good substrate cleaning with a diatom filter to kick up the crud will do wonders to limit their population (along with lessened feedings). I breed MTS in my 10 gallon QT tank and I put algae wafers in the substrate to feed them. The numbers go up pretty quickly when fed that way. My guess is you have a lot of detrius in/on the substrate that gives them a great large food source.

And you can make a little $$$ or get plants on the side if you collect and trade them on this or other forums.

well problem solved! first I pulled a few HUNDRED out with my net sifting through the sand substrate then I bought a Zebra loach. The next morning I found a few empty shells. I plan on getting 1 or 2 more. He likes to swim around with my YoYo's even tho he's half the size. I put the snails I pulled out are in a 10G maybe start giving them away or trading for some plants or something. Thanks for the suggestions.

CHBGator said:
well problem solved! first I pulled a few HUNDRED out with my net sifting through the sand substrate then I bought a Zebra loach. The next morning I found a few empty shells. I plan on getting 1 or 2 more. He likes to swim around with my YoYo's even tho he's half the size. I put the snails I pulled out are in a 10G maybe start giving them away or trading for some plants or something. Thanks for the suggestions.

The shells were whole right? I've heard they cannot crack the shell due to its shape and thickness so they suck the snails right out!

Yes whole shells, like he had sucked the meat out. I had a GSP and even he couldn't break MTS shells.

I've found that MTS, at least in my ARLC tank, are fairly self-regulating; meaning that there will never be more of them than is necessary. Overfeed, and you will get more. They survive on detritus and are, in my opinion, great substrate cleaners. I never vacuum my substrate because my MTS come out every night and clean it up. I love those little guys :)

Back
Top Bottom