MTS out of nowhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over night i just had an outbreak of MTS. I saw one months ago after i added a plant. It was promptly eaten by the loaches.

I guess my hitchiker snail layed some eggs. I had no idea they would incubate this long.

It appears however that there are a few generations in there. I see 1cm, 5-6mm, and 2-3mm sized snails all over.

Could they have possibly planned a sneak attack and waited until now to run wild?

Bon Appetit, Loaches :)

Well, I have always used mts's to mix my sand up for me :lol:. They mind their business and I mind mine. Most of the time they hang out in the sand anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Its a give/take relation ship I guess... :wink:

mumrah said:
Bon Appetit, Loaches :)

The opercula, shell strength, (effectively vivaparous) parthenogenic nature, and general resilience (specimens have been documented as having survived ingestion by fish) of M. tuberculata often pose difficulties for intended predators. What objections do you have against them?

I have no objections. I thought i was having a major outbreak... but upon inspection this morning, they are all gone. Hiding somewhere.

Smart little snails.

mumrah said:
I have no objections. I thought i was having a major outbreak... but upon inspection this morning, they are all gone. Hiding somewhere.

Smart little snails.

Wait until dark....thats when the MTS come out to play.... :wink:

Zezmo said:
I wouldn't mind MTS.... but I think they are the ones eating my plants. Any advice on getting rid of them.

Such behavior would be rather atypical for M. tuberculata - exactly what plants are being consumed?

I agree, everything I read says they are plant friendly. THey seem to mostly eat the young leaves of my Amazon swords. In particular the Varigated Sword. There are no other types of snails in there.

Back
Top Bottom