Multiple Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
All my plants are growing very well, so that is not the problem. Each of my plants seem to have a different problem. I will start with the Ludwiga Repens because its the only on i know the name of. it grows like a weed, and most of the leaves are healthy, but some of them have multiple layers of algae. I am working on a DIY Co2 to get rid of it, but that may be another 2 weeks. The green algae on top I scrope of reguarly, but there is this brown stuff underneath. Im actually not sure its algae, but it is impossible to scrape off. If i try, I end up either brewking the leaf or scraping the top layer of plant off. As far as I can tell, the leaf is still a live underneath, but it dies after a while. What is think and what can i do about it?
I have this other plant, and i dont think its an aqutic plant anymore and im thinking about removing it. There are no leaves on the bottom 10 inches, and the remeaning leaves have holes in them and are a see through color. many are covered with the brown stuff decribed above. Should I remove it? I have more questions, but i cant post now, I will later.

Lighting coralifet5 lighing fixture. 28 watts over a 24 gallon tank. But i think its actually more like 2 wpg because its t5 and has a very powerfull reflector.
Floursih Excel daily.

most brown algae as indicated on here turns out to be diatoms, typical in new setups and should go away on its own. If you don't have CO2 on the tank yet, this could be one cause of the problems. the other being that you have barely over 1 watt per gallon, this is pretty low, and you are pretty limited in plants.

Ludwigia repens requires medium lighting, which is probably part of the problem.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=156

Before diagnosing the problems of the other plant, i need to see a photo or a name.

I realize that it is supposed to be 1 watt per gallon. but that doesnt make sense. The ludwiga grows like an inch a day, and it has a lot of red. Other than the brown stuff its completely healthy. How could this be if I had such low light?

Since the brown stuff is so hard to remove, I suspect that it is BBA rather than Diatoms. BBA can be caused by CO2 levels that are inconsistant. If you aren't already, you could try running multiple bottles of DIY CO2 and alternating the weeks that each is changed out so that one is always going strong while you're mixing a new batch in the other.

Some stats that would help identify the problem are test results for Nitrates, Phosphates, KH, and PH. Also are you currently dosing any ferts? If so, what, how much, and how often?

Back
Top Bottom