My 100 gal build...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaponicpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ever since I laid eyes on one. I wanted a bamboo tank. The first one that I found was a 55 gal. on eBay for $700. I knew it was kind of pricey for a 55 gal. but I was willing to pay it.

Problem was it was 500 miles away and it was "pick up" only. I set about trying to figure out how I would make the trip, And the bottom line is I would eventually end up paying at least $1k for a 55 gal. tank.

so I kind of played the waiting game and searched online hoping that eventually I would come across one closer to home...

No luck for several months. I eventually came across this 40 gal. for $475. sorry this is the way seller had it uploaded. So I'm not gonna bother rotating it.

Attachments

• bamboo tank.jpg
    bamboo tank.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 358
Well within the same week I came across this:

Attachments

• craigslist bamboo.JPG
    craigslist bamboo.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 734
I thought I was dealing with a Noob or something. In all my searches I never seen a Bamboo Aquarium larger than 55gal. so I thought is was some type of mistake. Why sell something that is "kinda" hard to find so cheaply?

I immediately sent an email asking if I put a deposit down would the seller hold the tank for me... He declined. During this little window of oppurtunity, I had So much going on. Furnace broke during the coldest week of winter, All household expenses being due at the time, etc.

So I had to wait it out. maybe 2 wks. later I had breathing room.and the day that I decided I was gonna go pick up my tank, was the day he reposted the ad. The Irony! this is how I know I willed this into my life. and this is why I am sharing the price with you Guys. It was a 30 mile drive from My house.

When I arrived I expected to be greeted by an unassuming "Someone" looking to just cut their losses and get out of the hobby. Instead I was met by a near 7 ft. Giant of a man That wouldn't budge when I offered him $160. and yes, He kind of laughed at me before I even formed the words and invited me inside his house. There sat in his Living room a 350gal. cube stocked with Dempseys and Oscars.

after paying my compliments and aknowledgements he led me back to the Garage where the tank was being stored. I tried to haggle the price again, explaining that I would have to make 3 trips just to get it to my house. Between stand, tank and canopy, no two pieces would fit into my vehicle at the same time.

He offered to deliver for free, and that was another sign to show me that I had willed this tank into my life.

Once I got it home I placed it in the garage and during the process of unloading He snagged his hand on a nail.:( very nasty little cut. We adminstered first aid. and I finally had the tank to myself to give it a thorough checking. It was super dusty, had quite a bit of nail pops. and Had obviously leaked at one point, As someone had done a very sloppy job of re-siliconing it. I wanted to fill it to test for leakage but couldn't fathom wasting 100gls. of water so I just cleaned it hammered some of the loose nails back in and set about moving it inside, Alone. I used a skateboard and some wooden dowells to maneuver it up 3stairs through our kitchen and around the corner. Sounds easy in writing, but after doing this I am convinced the same spirit was with me that Helped out the builders on easter Island. Iwilled this tank into my life and I willed it into my living room. No small feat:)

Attachments

• easterisle01.jpg
    easterisle01.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 192
so I filled it, No leaks, let it set for 2 days so that temp would stabilize and chlorine would leave, added some giant danios to cycle it. I have a shoal that has cycled every tank in my house. but after catching two of the twelve I decided against putting them all in as I will never be able to catch them to get them out. I instead put My pair of Dwarf Gouramis in to help with the cycle

Attachments

• IMG522.jpg
    IMG522.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 172
The plan is to do a heavily planted Dwarf Puffer tank. I plan to use Black Sand And I found this really cool LFS that has some XXL plants on order for me.

I also added some water sprite from my "self sustaining" tank. Not sure what they are eating but the gouramis have been pecking away endlessly and producing a ton of waste. I currently have two sponge filters in there, I plan to add at least 4 more.

I also added a gang of assassin snails and a marble cray to help with the cycle.

special thanks to "afishpond" for providing me with a nice ball of Healthy Java moss. It' is growing and spreading right now as I type this:cool:

Attachments

• IMG538.jpg
    IMG538.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG547.jpg
    IMG547.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG545.jpg
    IMG545.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 180
So I picked up my first shipment of plants. An extra large sword some Java fern marimo moss ball, and a ton of Java moss. I think I like the Java fern more than the Sword so I will order a few more of those and get rid of the sword. not sure with the decor or substrate that I want to go with, So I have been using glass caserole dishes as pots until I decide on something more permanent.

Attachments

• IMG554.jpg
    IMG554.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG555.jpg
    IMG555.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG552.jpg
    IMG552.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG561.jpg
    IMG561.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 205
Sweet deal! I would like to know about your self sustaining tank! I kinda have one of my own!

Moved to Planted Tanks. I haven't seen a bamboo tank like that since 2003, but unfortunately that little lfs closed shortly after I started frequenting it. I LOVE that tank. Congrats!

No offense but I paid around 500 for a brand new 125 from my lfs. Yikes. Looks good.

Moved to Planted Tanks. I haven't seen a bamboo tank like that since 2003, but unfortunately that little lfs closed shortly after I started frequenting it. I LOVE that tank. Congrats!

Thank You It's a dream come true.

Beautiful tank I am very jelous

I aint mad at you, It aroused all kind of feelings within me before I acquired it. Your dream tank is out there waiting for you as well.

I forgot, its a pretty cool tank tho!! The bamboo stand and canopy really adds to the live furniture!!!

Such a cool tank! Long term what type of fish are you going to add?

Such a cool tank! Long term what type of fish are you going to add?

Well, to have it Heavily Planted and stocked with "Dwarf Puffers" and a schooling Fish that can evade their nips. Beyond that Im not sure, I have some updates coming Later today.

Back
Top Bottom