My 10G grow-out tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, herre's my planted 10G tank, trying to grow out a few new plants to be transferred to my larger tanks. Would like to get them going here, then move clippings to my other tanks. Here's some pics....

I also added other new plants to my 29G as well, and will post those pics probably tomorrow, after I do a little more maintenance on that tank.

10g158.jpg

10g159.jpg

10g160.jpg

10g161.jpg

10g162.jpg

10g163.jpg

10g164.jpg

10g165.jpg

You definitely have a lot of different colors and shapes. I can't wait for them grow out!

EDIT: you may want to remove any damaged leaves from that sword. The plant will waste energy trying to repair it.

It' a 10G tank.
Lighting is 2 25W CF screw-in bulbs.
Substrate is Eco Complete.
Temp is around 78 degrees.
gh is 110, kh is 60
Pressurized CO2 is injected into the intake of the Whisper 5-15 HOB filter.
No fish.
I dose ferts using EI.
50% PWC's weekly.

I got mine at Walmart when they had them. But they no longer have them at the Walmart here any more. But I heard others said that Walmart is now carrying the GE 6500k screw ins, so I need to get down there to see if they have them yet here.

Lonewolfblue said:
I got mine at Walmart when they had them. But they no longer have them at the Walmart here any more. But I heard others said that Walmart is now carrying the GE 6500k screw ins, so I need to get down there to see if they have them yet here.
like in the light section or in the fish section? because my fish section has the 10 watt cf but I want higher light!

Also remember that not all the bulbs fit in all hoods. I have 2 different 10G tanks with 2 different hoods. The hood with the 2 20W bulbs (the tank with the crypts) won't work with the 25W bulbs. They are just too big for the hood. I can get them in, but they put too much strain on the sockets and I'm afraid they might break off. As for the other hood, they fit perfectly with plenty of clearance. Just so you know, if the hood turns out to be too small for the 25W or 27W bulbs, you might have to make some small modifications so it does work. You will also have to remove the clear plastic shield, as it won't fit on with the bulb in the socket.

Cool grow out tank, you will soon have a ton of nice plants! Whats the green bushy round leaved one on the far left?

Looks like Bacopa Australis but who knows for sure, except Rkilling1. Looks to be a nice thick plant thatc ould be a nice one for a fry tank.

Sweet idea, I have bee thinking about a no fish tank for a while and that has really convinced me to give it a try. Cheap to get set up with another 10 gallon and a good place top ;et some grow out the top.

Nope, not Bacopa Australis. Wasn't in his list of plants. I'm pretty sure it's Bacopa caroliniana.

Fishless tanks are pretty cool. And easier to dose, as you don't have the fish and food creating nutrients to adjust for in dosing.

See the tall plant behind the Bacopa caroliniana, next to the heater? The tops are getting a nice peach color. :)

Edit:
Here's more pics....

10g169.jpg

10g170.jpg

10g171.jpg

10g172.jpg

Glenc said:
Whats the green bushy round leaved one on the far left?

That is Lobelia cardinalis 'dwarf'.

Lonewolfblue said:
See the tall plant behind the Bacopa caroliniana, next to the heater? The tops are getting a nice peach color. :)

That one is Bacopa sp. 'Colorata'.

I wonder if you could get by without a filter at all?

I don't mean to to hijack but your tank is a great idea and I'm just wondering if this is possible.

In theory, there should be no waste in the tank and any rotting plant matter would only produce ammonia which the plants should love. Changing water every week should keep everything in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom